District Names Interim Superintendent

Dr. Jim Vaszauskas Takes Medical Leave to Focus on Thymoma Cancer
Photo by Brady Moore
Dr. Jim Vaszauskas has cold water poured on him at Mansfield Summit High School for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

Mansfield ISD has named an interim superintendent following Dr. Jim Vaszauskas’ surprise departure. Dr. Vaszauskas recently sent a letter out to the community explaining that his thymoma cancer has returned. Former Burleson ISD Superintendent Dr. Mark Jackson will assume the position of Mansfield ISD Interim Superintendent on Monday, April 20.

“We are fully confident in Dr. Mark Jackson’s capabilities to continue to guide our district while Dr. Vaszauskas is taking care of his health,” School Board President Dr. Michael Evans said in a special bulletin from Mansfield ISD. “We valued the input and insight from Dr. Vaszauskas in this decision so that the transition is comfortable for everyone.”

Dr. Vaszauskas’ prognosis is positive, according to an email sent out to MISD staff. The thymoma is a gland located in front of a space between the lungs called the mediastinum. Treatment typically involves surgically removing the gland and Dr. Vaszauskas hopes to begin treatment as early as April 21. Dr. Vaszauskas plans to return to work no later than August.

“I work in a community and a district that has a deep and abiding faith,” Dr. Vaszauskas said in a letter to the community. “I know that my family will be lifted up in your thoughts and prayers.”

Interim Superintendent Dr. Mark Jackson was Superintendent for Burleson ISD for eight years and has approximately 30 years of experience in educational leadership roles. Dr. Jackson earned his Ph.D. in Administrative Leadership and his Masters of Education at the University of North Texas in Denton. He also holds various other administrative certifications.

“We already have a very strong team of leaders on the administrative and campus levels,” Dr. Evans said. “Dr. Jackson will continue to support their efforts in Dr. Vaszauskas’ absence.”