Journalism Adviser Wins Top State Award

Journalism+Adviser+Leland+Mallett+gives+a+speech+to+ILPC+attendees+at+Lyndon+B+Johnson+Auditorium+in+Austin%2C+TX+after+winning+the+Texas+Journalism+Teacher+of+the+Year+Award.+
Photo by Steven Dearinger
Journalism Adviser Leland Mallett gives a speech to ILPC attendees at Lyndon B Johnson Auditorium in Austin, TX after winning the Texas Journalism Teacher of the Year Award.

Journalism adviser, Leland Mallett won the Max R. Haddick Teacher of the Year award for Texas Journalism, chosen by the UIL, on April 19 at the 88th annual ILPC award ceremony in Austin.

“I’ve watched the award ceremony for 15 years and saw great people win, and I thought that it’d be great if I won someday. But I never expected it,” Mr. Mallett said. “It makes it special to know there are so many talented journalism teachers in Texas, and I won the award.”

Balfour Yearbook Representative Tammy Bailey and Education Specialist Judi Coolidge coordinated the award nomination for Mallett. A panel of three judges, including ILPC/UIL Journalism Director Jeanne Acton, unanimously voted Mallett as Teacher of the Year.

“I’ve always known that he would get the award. I was just waiting for someone to nominate him,” Ms. Acton said. “It’s your colleagues who see something special and take the time to [nominate you], and he’s impacted a lot of people, so I knew it’d happen soon.”

Ms. Acton asked past teachers of the year to stand to receive recognition at the awards ceremony before she announced the 2015 winner. Ms. Acton then read a speech containing segments of the nomination applications sent in for Mr. Mallett.

It makes it special to know there are so many talented journalism teachers in Texas, and I won the award.

— Leland Mallett

“It’s a big deal because Texas has extremely incredible journalism teachers and knowing that you got selected over all these other teachers who could have gotten it makes it special,” past winner Rhonda Moore said. “He is so deserving. He has done so much for his own kids and the other teachers. He teaches at conventions, and I know he’ll be there to help anyone. He’s done a lot for Texas.”

Although Mr. Mallett did know he was nominated for the award he did not find out about winning until the day of the ceremony. However co-journalism teacher Rachel Dearinger worked with Acton and Bailey in secret to prepare a party in Austin. Mrs. Dearinger made T-shirts that featured a cartoon depiction of Mr. Mallett, surrounded by the phrase “Mallett’s Morons”, written in Comic Sans. She also invited a large group of 75 to attend the ceremony and party including Mallett’s friends, family, coworkers and past editors.

“This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for him that I didn’t want to go unnoticed,” Mrs. Dearinger said. “This is a huge honor. I think sometimes other people outside of our journalism world don’t know how big it is. Planning a celebration is the least I could do for someone who has done so much for everyone else.”

Originally, Mr. Mallett planned to attend a national journalism convention in Denver the same weekend of the Austin award ceremony. Mrs. Dearinger worked to convince him otherwise.

“What Dearinger and the students did for me means more to me than the award, but both are huge,” Mr. Mallett said. “I go through my day just being me, and what I do means a lot to people is humbling.”

Mr. Mallett has been teaching for 15 years, eight of those at Legacy High School. He received the TAJE Trailblazer award in 2013, the ILPC Edith Fox King award in 2010, Legacy High School Teacher of the Year award in 2010, and the Texas PTA Teacher of the Year finalist in 2014. Mr. Mallett advises The Arena Yearbook and the online newspaper, The Rider Online. His students’ publications have earned several state and national awards. The Arena yearbook has won Best of Show at the NSPA Journalism Convention, four CSPA Silver Crown awards, three ILPC Silver Star awards, two ILPC Bronze Star awards, and placed as a NSPA Pacemaker Finalist twice. The online newspaper won Best of Show for the 2014 NSPA Fall Journalism Convention, four NSPA Pacemakers, five CSPA Gold Crowns, and five ILPC Gold Stars.

“At the end of the day, it’s about the students and people I work with,” Mr. Mallett said. “They make me look good, and I can’t thank them enough.”

Michelle McDaniel
Michelle McDaniel, Personalities Editor and LBTV Staffer
Hello! This is my second year as an editor for The Rider, and I’m very happy to be here! I do some of the art for the journalism department, too. A bit about me: I have way too many hobbies and not enough time. I like to write, edit this newspaper, collect quotes, play video games, draw, take pictures, travel, and a lot of other things. I spend most of my free time either helping out at my church, finishing my AP art projects in Mr. Mason’s room or completing and editing stories in the journalism room. I have “slight” obsessions with The Beatles and Harry Potter. Hopefully this time next year, I’ll be writing for UNT’s newspaper!   “I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.” -Martha Washington Did I mention that I love collecting quotes?
Taylor Scruggs
Taylor Scruggs, LBTV Staff
Hey y'all, I'm Taylor Leigh Scruggs. I'm brand new to the staff and I love it. I'm in the band and I am their Rep at Large. I love attention. I love God more than anything. Follow me on Twitter or Instagram. Go Broncos. [email protected]
Shalavé Cawley
Shalavé Cawley, Staff Writer
Hi, I'm Shalavé. I'm a junior, and this is my first year at The Rider Online. Besides newspaper and broadcast, I'm in debate and NHS. I like British accents, black-tie, and books. Oh, and if anyone happens to have a Ferrari 458 Spider lying around, please feel free to contact me. [email protected].
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• A

Alec WisdomApr 23, 2015 at 1:10 pm

icu mallet. werk.

• R

Richard McDanielApr 22, 2015 at 11:32 am

Extremely well written article. Love it

Great Job!!!!

Love

Dad