Put It Down/Save a Life Encourages Teens to Make the Right Decisions

Photo by Caleb Jones
Participating students are taken through a series of dramatic recreations of car accidents due to driving under the influence.

There are few scenes more emotionally challenging than seeing your loved ones in danger, which is exactly what Put It Down/Save a Life hopes to recreate. On April 23 and 24 the program, formerly known as “Every 15 Minutes”, will attempt to teach high school students the dangers of driving while distracted. The production focuses on texting and or being under the influence while behind the wheel. Leonard Cousins, the campus administrator for Put It Down/ Save a Life, believes it to be emotional and life-changing.

“We are simulating what would happen if a classmate was killed in an accident,” Mr. Cousins said. “Hopefully, through our efforts, we can save a life and not lose anyone.”

A signed application and a written obituary by a parent or guardian allows the student to participate in the program and gives the student exemptions to miss the assigned school days. While signing up, the most emotional part becomes the obituary, where the parents must write up a biography of their lost child. When junior Zach Grubbs asked his parents to write an obituary, he knew they would not be overjoyed.

“My mom was not enthusiastic about it,” Grubbs said. “She was very upset and did not want to have to think about it.”

During Put It Down/ Save a Life, 59 students will be picked up by ‘grim reapers’, have their obituaries read, and taken away from school for two days. On April 24, an informative assembly will present the dangers of drinking and driving, also with Arlington Police Officer Stacy Brown, as the guest speaker.

“Make it a habit to make really good decisions,” Mr. Cousins said. “Especially when you have an opportunity when something does not seem right.”

The program targets juniors and seniors who may drive under the influence. Placed right before prom and graduation, PIDSAL hopes to make an impact on those who did not think about the dangers of drinking or texting while driving and change their lives for the better of themselves and the people around them.

“Changing someone’s opinion is a slow process,” Grubbs said. “Hopefully this will kickstart to that process or the final factor in their decision or choice for their own safety.”