AVID to Host Banquet for Seniors

The banquet will be held at Spring Creek Barbecue.
Photo by Allee Austin

For the first time, AVID will host the a banquet to celebrate the accomplishments and graduation of the AVID seniors. The banquet will be held on May 22 at Spring Creek Barbecue at 12:30 in the afternoon. The AVID seniors, their parents, AVID teachers Ms. Harris and Ms. Roberts, Dr. Butler, Mr. Cousins, AVID Director Angela Martin, Associate Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction, and Accountability, Darrell Sneed, and the AVID juniors will attend the celebration and lunch.

“It’s celebrating college acceptances and graduations for the seniors,” Ms. Roberts said. “I think it will be a fun time to celebrate their accomplishments as they get ready to go to college.”

Since the program started, the seniors received recognition for their accomplishments throughout AVID and high school. At the banquet, those attending will eat the lunch by Spring Creek Barbecue, watch the slideshow, and also see the seniors receive some “fun and crazy” awards.

“I’ve been teaching them since their freshman year,” Ms. Roberts said. “It’s bittersweet, and it will be weird to not see them everyday but I’m excited to see them go to college and become adults.”

To host the banquet, letters were sent along with the seniors to their families. The senior AVID class includes Angel Aguirre, Ricardo Aguirre, Brandon Bernal, Kayla Buckhram, Byron Edwards, Juan Esquivel, Mallory Keetch, Kevin Maddox, Alejandro Miranda Solis, Alexandria Reetz, Rosalba Rubio, Cynthia Suarez, Jacob Thomas, Nicholas Thomas, and Taylor Weaver. Brandon Bernal looks forward to the celebration banquet and to the future ahead of him.

“AVID has taught me to always be self-motivated and always to look forward to the future,” Bernal said. “I’m pretty sad that it is ending, but I am excited to start my life outside of school.”