Procrastination Plagues Students

Procrastination Plagues Students

Sophomore Jaden Chapman presses the home button on her cell phone and sighs when she sees the time, knowing she probably won’t get much, if any, sleep that night. She turns her attention back to the pile of homework she must finish, realizing that she should have begun her homework days ago when there was plenty of time to complete her assignments. 

“Procrastinating makes me feel lazy, and it stresses me out,” Chapman said. “It’s definitely something that every teenager does.”   

Everyone has a procrastination problem to some degree.

— Jillian Ramos

Various surveys of student populations state that between 85 and 95 percent of students like sophomore Mackenzie Mohr have problems associated with procrastination. A 2007 study found procrastinators have less illnesses and lower stress levels than their peers at the start of the term. However, this was not true by the end of the semester when students’ levels of stress and illnesses were dramatically higher. Mohr said procrastination only leads to stress. 

“I have more stress when things are due. [When] I have more to do, I get less sleep,” Mohr said. “I think procrastination is very common. I do procrastinate often, but I always get my work done.” 

The physiological behavior of procrastination seems to be a common problem that continues to grow. Procrastinators often show signs of low self confidence, poor time management, stubbornness, and manipulation. StudyMode’s survey demonstrates 86 percent of high school students like sophomore Jillian Ramos procrastinate on school assignments. Of those students, 45 percent said that procrastination negatively impacts their grades. Ramos believes everyone procrastinates even though most know they shouldn’t partake in the action. 

“Procrastination brings on a lot more stress than there needs to be,” Ramos said. “Everyone has a procrastination problem to some degree.”

Though procrastination may seem like a problem associated with students, 40 percent of people have experienced financial loss due to procrastination. Therefore, one out of five people procrastinate so poorly that it jeopardizes their jobs, credit, relationships, and health. Ms. Jeri Bordelon, academic sponsor and teacher of AP World History and Sociology, believes the habit of procrastination will follow students into adulthood. 

We as a school district are not doing our part in making students understand that due dates are important and necessary for success,” Ms. Bordelon said. “ Procrastination in adulthood can lead to unpaid bills, expired licenses and late taxes if one is not aware of their habits.”  

Procrastination brings on a lot more stress than there needs to be

— Jillian Ramos

Most students say they procrastinate because they feel overwhelmed by loads of work and don’t know where to start. DeSale University’s survey states 57 percent of students said they feel a mix of liking procrastination because it gives them an adrenaline rush and disliking it because it causes stress. Procrastination seems to lead to stress, but for some students, it helps them to create some of their best work. For example, sophomore Aaron Colgrove claims he has procrastinated school work everyday since the eighth grade.  

“Procrastination doesn’t affect me, because I’m not doing anything,” Colgrove said.