Girls’ Soccer Advances to Regional Semifinals

Heaven Conner, 11, hugs Peyton McGee, 11, after winning the third round of playoffs against Sulphur Springs. (Brandon Bosecker photo)

[Updated April 6]

Sophomore Emily Lass walked into the game against Sulphur Springs with confidence. Getting into her zone, Lass kept quiet and prepared for the upcoming match. At the half, the score was tied, 0-0, however the Lady Broncos strategized and the team managed to score two points in the second half.

The girls’ varsity soccer team defeated Sulphur Springs, 2-0 and advance to the Regional Semifinals, a familiar place for the team. Last year’s team reached the Regional Semifinals but were defeated by Wylie East. However, Lass said this year’s team is different and has improved more.

“I expect us to come out and win this game,” Lass said. “We just have to play how we know we can and have the right mindset.”

Lass is a team captain and has experienced playoffs twice. She wants her teammates to know how much she appreciates all their hard work this season and said she couldn’t have asked for a better team to be apart of.

“As a captain, I wouldn’t want to lead any other team to victory,” Lass said. “I am just trying to make the seniors year the best that it can be.”

The Broncos advance to the Regional Semifinals against Frisco at 7 p.m. Friday at Richardson High School. A fan bus will be provided for any fans who want to attend the game. Information and sign up sheets will be available in Coach Ryan’s room (T206).

“I would like to thank the fans that have made it out to most of our games and shown us support,” Lass said. “Usually it’s just our parents there, so it’s nice to see some of our friends cheering us on.”

[Updated April 4]

The Legacy girls’ soccer team defeated Lindale, 5-0 in the Area Playoff game. Junior Peyton McGee, forward, knows the team is now one game closer to reaching their goal.

“I’m excited and a little nervous,” McGee said. “Our goal is to get back to where we were last year.”

In the 2014-2015 season, the team advanced to the Regional Semifinals. This year the team hopes to advance all the way to the State game. McGee said the team focuses on games one at a time and said they prepare for the upcoming games no differently.

“Our game approach doesn’t change just because the opponent changes,” McGee said. “We have to play our game because our game is what we are good at.”

Because McGee is a junior, she wants to make the seniors final year worthwhile. She doesn’t focus on the nerves of the playoff atmosphere, but leans on her teammates during the exhilarating playoff season.

“I want to tell my teammates that I love them whether we win or lose,” McGee said. “We’ve had a great season, winning district and getting this far, and now we have to keep pushing.”

The Broncos play at 6 p.m. Tuesday against Sulphur Springs at Terrell Stadium for the Regional Quarterfinal game. A fan bus will be provided for students who want to attend the game. See Coach Ryan in room T206 to sign up.

[Updated April 1]

The Varsity girls’ soccer team advances in playoffs after defeating Adamson High School, 7-0. They advance to the Area Playoff game at 6:30 p.m.Friday against Lindale High School at Crandall High School. 

Senior Brooke Whetzel likes the focus of her teammates. She knows how important playoffs are for everyone, and wants to make her senior year special.

“I am really proud of everybody,” Whetzel said. “They’ve really come together to make my senior year something I’ll never forget no matter what happens in the next few weeks.”

A fan bus will be provided for students who want to attend the game. Go to Coach Ryan’s room (T206) to sign up. The bus leaves at 5 p.m. and will leave from the school and bring the students back after the game.

[Original story March 24]

Kicking the soccer ball, senior Brooke Whetzel practices her skills and prepares for playoffs. The varsity girls’ soccer team won the district title, taking it away from their rival, Lake Ridge.

“It feels great,” Whetzel said. “We kept Lake Ridge girls from claiming the district title.”

During practices, the team practices on touch and connecting as a team. Taking everything one game at a time, the team focuses on things they need to improve for the upcoming playoff season.

“We don’t look past anything and we don’t expect anything to be given to us,” Whetzel said.

With this being Whetzel’s senior year, she realizes how much this season means to her. She wants to leave this year behind with good memories with her teammates. Along with Whetzel, senior Sarah Tipton feels like the team’s hard work has finally paid off. Tipton has high expectations of the team during their playoff run this season.

“I expect us to go far and make history again,” Tipton said. “We are a better team than last year.”

The team prepares for the upcoming competition by watching other teams play and learning how to compete against them. The team notices other competitors weaknesses and focus on what needs to be done in order to take home the victory. Tipton enjoys playing soccer and is overjoyed with the support and dedication of her teammates.

“It’s an honor to be apart of a team that has such a big heart for the sport I love,” Tipton said.

The Broncos play Adamson High School at 7 p.m. March 24  at Cedar Hill.