Boys’ Golf Advances to State Tournament

The+boys+golf+team+advances+to+the+State+Tournament+for+the+second+time+in+school+history.+
Photo by Photo by Shantel Garner
The boys’ golf team advances to the State Tournament for the second time in school history.

Sophomore Kolton Newman anxiously gazes at his strategy sheet as he prepares to swing the golf club, sending the ball across the course on his practice round.

Boys’ golf enters their second state tournament in school history on April 25 to 26. The 5A State Tournament will be held at the Hyatt Regency Wolfdancer Golf Club in Lost Pines, Texas. Chandler Blanton, Lucas Carter, Trevor Mellott, Kolton Newman and Jackson Powers qualified for state following regionals, in effort to finish out the year strong.

“It’s played out really well,” Blanton said. “We’ve taken care of all the opportunities we’ve faced and prepared correctly throughout the season.”

The team focuses most of their attention on their short game, like chipping and putting, while also doing drills for hitting iron shots. They focus on a variety of shots to be prepared for any situation on the course.

“I’ll just go in there and play loose like I’ve been ready for this tournament and play how I usually would,” Powers said. “I’m a little nervous, but confident enough that my game will get us through.”

With all underclassmen on the team, they find that going to state will be a productive experience.

“We kind’ve just want to get experience as a team,” Newman said. “Next year, we’ll have a really good chance and go win it too.”

Based on previous tournaments and individual skill, each team member has a certain level of confidence going into the State Tournament.

“We will just continue to play our game and hopefully get the state championship,” Blanton said.