Seniors Celebrate Committing to College

Seniors+Fiona+Hoang+and+Sophia+Rico+hold+their+college+signs+at+the+College+Signing+Day+event+in+the+Legacy+JV+gym.+
Photo by Maddy Brown
Seniors Fiona Hoang and Sophia Rico hold their college signs at the College Signing Day event in the Legacy JV gym.

College Signing Day is an initiative hosted by Legacy’s AVID to honor all the seniors that have accepted to a college or university on April 26. The national event was created by First Lady Michelle Obama as a part of Reach Higher, a program that promotes high school students to continue their education and see it as an option once they graduate, whether it be at a traditional four-year college, a two-year community college or through an industry-recognized training program. The program aims to make The United States with highest proportion of college graduates in the world. 

The genuine happiness in their face is priceless

— Dionne Harris

“After teaching the senior AVID class this year, it has been pure joy when they tell me that they have been accepted to college.” AVID teacher, Ms. Dionne Harris said. “The genuine happiness in their face is priceless, especially when they send me a random text after receiving the email or letter that they have been accepted.”

Athletes usually get the opportunity to have their pictures taken when they sign their letter of intent for their college choice. The AVID sponsors wanted the rest of the seniors to have that same opportunity in which they can share the news that they too have been chosen by a college or university.

I think that students committing to colleges is a validation of all the hard work over the last four years of their lives.” Ms. Harris said. “Mrs. Roberts and I thought [the event] would be a great opportunity to showcase all of our seniors that have been accepted to college.”

Students will wear their college shirts and bring their acceptance letters to the JV gym and take a group photo to celebrate their success. There will also be two signing tables set up where students can take a signing picture. Afterwards, students will be served cake and refreshments.

“I think it’s nice that we are getting recognized for all our hard work getting through high school.” Senior Marcy Crouch said.