Shannon’s Run: MISD Honors Teacher With 5K Race

Photo by Jacob Friedberg
Shannon’s Run honors Shannon Mabe, a social studies teacher at Danny Jones Intermediate School who passed away in 2015.

Shannon Mabe was one of the first teachers hired to work at Donna Shepherd Intermediate School when it initially opened. After teaching for 18 years, Ms. Mabe was diagnosed with Melanoma Cancer in 2012 and later passed away in 2015.

Mansfield will host a 5K titled ‘Shannon’s Run’ in honor of Ms. Mabe.  A committee of six teachers from Donna Shepherd will host the race and find sponsors for the event. Lesley Burke, PE Coach at Donna Shepherd and close friend of Ms. Mabe, organized the committee and helped plan the event.

“Shannon Mabe was an excellent teacher who taught in Mansfield for many years,” Coach Burke said.

To enter, participants must fill out a registration form online or mail the form to Donna Shepherd Intermediate School. Any participants under the age of 18 must have parental consent prior to signing up. The one mile ‘fun run’ is $10, the 5K is $20 and all participants will receive a ‘Shannon’s Run’ t-shirt. Cash, Credit Card and checks will be accepted (Make checks payable to ‘Shannon’s Run’).

All the money raised at the event will be donated two ways: A scholarship fund for any graduating senior at Legacy High School who formerly had Mrs. Mabe as a teacher and a donation will be made to the Melanoma Research Foundation.

“We are hoping to give the college scholarship to a student who wants to go into education to become a teacher,” Coach Burke said.

Late registration and packet pickup starts at 6:30 a.m. and the race starts with a one mile ‘fun run’ at 8 a.m. followed by the 5K at 8:15 p.m. on May 7 at Rose Park. The 5K race will be timed for all runners who are participating.

Water and snacks will be provided for all the participants. A dermatologist will be present to give free screenings and to hand out free skin products during the event. The purpose of this race is to honor Shannon Mabe and to help bring awareness to Melanoma.

“I feel like this race should mean a lot to our community,” Coach Burke said. “It honors one of MISD’s excellent teachers and it brings awareness to a serious health issue that could affect a lot of lives if people are not aware how damaging the sun is to their body.”

If there are any questions please contact Lesley Burke at [email protected]