New Developments Contribute to Growth in Mansfield

The+City+of+Mansfield+has+mapped+out+the+areas+of+growth+of+the+city.+%28Courtesy+Photo+via+the+City+of+Mansfield%29.+
The City of Mansfield has mapped out the areas of growth of the city. (Courtesy Photo via the City of Mansfield).

The area within the Legacy’s attendance zoning will be seeing major growth and construction in the next few years due to the city of Mansfield’s expanding economy and ever increasing population. The City of Mansfield has begun construction on three large neighborhoods near the southern edge of the city limits, and more neighborhoods are popping up in the small section of Arlington that feeds into the school. Junior Amy Gallas lives near some of the new housing developments.

“I think it’s cool how Mansfield has grown so much,” Gallas said. “It’s gotten really big, when it used to just [have] one high school.”

The agenda for Mansfield growth and construction in coming years also includes a project that will build on and off ramps where Highway 287 meets Debbie Lane. The renovation will allow drivers to exit going north on 287 and loop around to go south on the highway, all while avoiding the stoplight on Debbie. There is even talk of a short-term highway shutdown and a widening of Debbie. David Boski, the Transportation Project Engineer for the City of Mansfield, hopes to clear up some congestion in the Walnut Creek area.

“It’s a step to help alleviate some traffic at Debbie,” Boski said. “It will also help out Walnut Creek intersection by adding a Debbie Lane exit.”

One of the reasons for the steady increase in Mansfield population and urbanization is the steady influx of new businesses, both retail and industry related. Scott Welmaker, Director of Economic Development for the city of Mansfield, supervises the bringing and keeping industrial businesses in the area. Welmaker’s job includes networking with home contractors to accommodate new citizens just moving to the area, working alongside businesses that wish to open up franchises in Mansfield and winning large industrial contracts over other DFW cities.

“My business is growth,” Welmaker said. “For me, not to have growth means I’m not doing my job, so naturally I’m going to be real bullish on growth.”

In 2014, the projected population of Mansfield in 2023 will be over 67,000. With about 300 new single family homes built annually, the growth in Mansfield doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon. Mr. Welmaker believes the constant growth and renewal of the city will keep Mansfield relevant, inviting new people and bigger businesses to this once small town.

“If you’re not relevant, you’re not going to be around much longer,” Welmaker said. “It’s exciting to be a part of watching things happen. There’s a lot happening in Mansfield.“

Jake Stacks
Jake Stacks, News Editor
Jesus. That's pretty much it.