Varsity Football Begins District

Varsity football defensive players speak with a referee during homecoming against Aledo.
Photo by Megan Bell

As the ball snapped, sophomore Jalen Catalon scanned the field in search of the ball carrier, spotted them and broke a full fledged sprint toward them slamming his shoulder pads into their chest, knocking them onto the illuminated turf of the Friday night game against Aledo.

Jalen was named Dallas Morning News Defensive Player of the Week after facing Aledo on Sept. 9 at homecoming. Despite the Broncos’ 59-41 loss, Catalon recorded a school record of 24 tackles, forced a fumble and broke up a pass.

“My main goal in the Aledo game was just to go out and make a statement on the best team probably in the state of Texas and make my mark,” Catalon said. “Just because I’m a sophomore doesn’t mean I can’t do things that most sophomores can’t do.”

Starting the season 2-1, the Broncos seek their third win against Midlothian today. The Midlothian game marks the beginning of district, and Varsity Assistant Coach Joseph Sam believes the team can still improve offensively and defensively.

“In order for us to reach our full potential, we find a way to get better everyday,” Coach Sam said. “We need to create more turnovers on defense by doing our jobs.”

Jalen plans to again lead the team on the defensive end for the rest of the season.

“My mentality for the rest of the season is to just play to the best of my ability, help my team win and keep the energy level high,” Catalon said. “I plan to have the same mindset that I had against Aledo going into Midlothian.”

Phillip Smith, Sports Editor
Hi, my name is Phillip Smith and I'm the Sports Editor for The Rider Online. I have been in journalism for three years, I'm on varsity basketball, and my favorite player was Kobe.
Megan Bell, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi I'm Megan Bell!
I am the Photo Editor for The Rider Online so I edit all the pictures you see on this site! I am a senior this year and I'm planning to major in journalism at college. My whole life is wrapped around journalism and this website so I hope you enjoy! Thanks :)