Review: Theater Checks in for ‘Suite Surrender’

I thoroughly enjoy plays, but ironically enough, I’ve never gone to one on my home campus. With the help from a friend, I finally decided to check one out, and thanks to the wonderful “Suite Surrender” my expectations were completely surpassed.

Because the play was set during the 1940s, it made my heart happy to hear the upbeat sound of jazz with Green Eyes by Jimmy Dorsey & His Orchestra as I walked into the auditorium — it made the feel for the era a bit more convincing. The lights dimmed, the bell hops opened the doors on the set and the play began.

I would hate to give away the best parts –like the unplanned voice crack of the bell hop boy played by sophomore Logan Chapman — but I will have to mention a few to get my point across.

The cast really immersed themselves in their characters, which made “Suite Surrender” even more believable. Played by senior Brittney Nagim, reporter Dora del Rio nailed the whole “there’s-a-story-everywhere” tendency journalists seem to occupy. And boy, the numerous slams to the face she endured must have been painful, but it kept the audience laughing.

Because a non-human actor has never acted on stage before, I expected the dog to bark once or twice, but he kept his composure the entire time he was on scene. I’d say Austin did a great job keeping his cool as he took on the character of Mr. Boodles. His owner, senior Hannah Morrell, said “he was born to be a star,” and I can’t help but agree with her.

The love interest between Francis, a bellhop, and Athena Sinclair’s assistant, played by freshman Kamryn Hannigan, remained to be one of the funniest and cutest details of “Suite Surrender.” In one scene, the two kiss leading both of them to act out the classic foot pop gesture seen in the Princess Diaries — it was hilarious.

I have to commend the theater department on keeping my attention throughout the entire play because I typically fade out every once in awhile. I admired the realistic aspect in the 1940s aesthetic, to the quick, witty comebacks in the dialogue. It didn’t feel like I watched the play; it felt like I was watching something on the tv. The huge plot twist at the end really caught me off guard.

Overall, “Suite Surrender” proved to be comedic, realistic, romantic and engaging all while chaos surrounded the main characters.

I rate this play at a 10/10.

Be sure to catch one of the last two showings: Oct. 15 at 7 p.m and Oct. 16 at 2 p.m. Student can purchase tickets for $5 and adults for $7 at the door.

Hannah Garcia
Hannah Garcia, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
My name is Hannah Garcia, and I'm proud to be Editor-in-Chief of such a great publication. I could try to be funny, but I won't put you through the pain of reading lame jokes. I'm here to write and make some memories before I leave high school. Peace out girl scout.
Graylin Rhoades
Graylin Rhoades, LBTV Executive Producer
I'm Graylin Rhoades, the senior Director for LBTV. I work on and supervise others in producing videos for the broadcast section of The Rider Online. You'll recognize me by my usual sideburns, and sometimes the camera I bring along to film. I enjoy taping the wide variety of events I go to, anything from the view of mountains to the fast action of a football game. hope to pursue engineering or film in college, and my goal is to get into a good school for both of those.