Serenading Science: Ms. Davis Sets Lessons to Music

The bell rings as freshmen file in Ms. Arlevia Davis’ fourth block biology class. It’s apparent that the after-lunch fatigue is setting in, as most of them slouch into their seats. Students observe as Ms. Davis shows the class an egg that had previously been sitting in vinegar. The class then names and draws the egg in their journals.

“Can our egg be gender neutral?” one of the students yells, making the class giggle.

Ms.Davis turns off the lights and a few students let out excited whispers when they realize what is about to occur. Rainbow flashy lights fill the room and Ms. Davis puts on a microphone headsets. The fast beat of “I’ve Got A Feeling” by the Black Eyed Peas starts playing and slowly, but surely students start clapping along. Ms. Davis starts her song and explains the process of cellular transport.

“The heads love water, the tails are haters,” the class exclaims in unison as they sing along with Ms.Davis.

After her performance, Ms. Davis slows down and explains all of her lyrics slide by slide. This makes for an engaging and unique way to lecture. The students, now awake, eagerly ask questions and help Ms. Davis explain concepts to their fellow students.

“I don’t understand,” a student said.

One of the students’ peers then offers to help explain the idea by drawing an illustration on the board. This grabs the class’s attention as they further the illustration and shout out other examples that complement the idea.

“Draw a Jesus fish,” the class exclaims as the student goes about explaining the song lyric.

Kendra Washington
Kendra Washington, Sports Editor
My name is Kendra Washington. I am a senior with a love for Jesus, writing, singing, football and people. I'm the Sports Editor for TheRiderOnline.com and a manager for Bronco football.
Pedro Rocha
Pedro Rocha, LBTV Staffer
I am Pedro Rocha, I am an aspiring film maker working on something at all times.
I love writing, filming and editing with a passion, as well as exploring the outside world.
TV and Film has in many ways shaped me into the person I am today, some of my favorite
movies and TV shows are Fight Club, Silver Lining's Playbook, Boyhood, Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. I hope to grow as a person and film maker this year and hopefully use it later on in life.
Dalton Mix
Dalton Mix, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi, my name is Dalton Mix. I am the newspaper photo editor for The Rider Online.I like movies and music.