Anime Hosts Soup-er Competition

Ryan Neira, 12, eats ramen noodles during the Anime Club ramen noodle eating contest. Neira won by eating a total of four cups of ramen.
Photo by Kaitlyn Menting

A swarm of students walk into Ms. Gina Chianese’s room with a hunger for ramen. Legacy’s annual ramen eating contest, held by the Anime Club, was underway. The rules were simple. Whoever finishes the most ramen within 10 minutes wins.

The event started with club founder, senior Brianna Candia, giving everyone announcements of the next club meeting. Then, a tutorial on how to use chopsticks is shown to aid those who don’t know how to use them. Afterwards, while the rest of the council members set up all the ramen. Those present watched an anime called Blue Exorcist.

“This is what anime club is known for and you’ll enjoy this,” Candia said.

After 20 minutes, the ramen eating contest began. As soon as the clock started, everyone competing began to devour their first cup of ramen.

“This much sodium could give someone a heart attack,” sophomore Noah Liukonen said as he ate through his second cup.

The smell of sodium and the screams of students filled room as the contestants ate. One by one, empty cups fell on the ground, Suddenly, the timer went off after 10 minutes and chopsticks were slammed onto the tables. Senior Ryan Neira emerged victorious by four cups of ramen.

After the main contest concluded, club founders and seniors, Brittney and Brianna Candia, competed in their own ramen eating contest. That ended with Brianna winning and ending the meeting.

Khalid Ahmed
Khalid Ahmed, Staff Writer
My name is Khalid Ahmed, and I'm a sophomore. I'm 15 years old and in newspaper. I was born with a heart condition known as truncus arteriosus. I've gone through five surgeries. Four of them were open heart, and the most recent one was through catheterization. I'm really big sports fan, too! I'm a Mavs Fan For Life, a Cowboy fan, Rangers fan, Stars fan, and an FC Dallas fan! One thing that most people don't know about me when they first meet me is that I'm a Muslim, and I'm proud to be one! Growing up, I was always teased about my religion and used that to mold who I am today. I want to prove to the world that Muslims aren't what mainstream media portrays them to be. Another big thing about me is that I'm arguably the biggest Dragon Ball Z fan that you might ever meet! I love watching it! It taught me to never give up and to break through my limits! Also, I love to watch/read romance stories which, I admit, isn't really what most guys my age are into, but, hey, that's who I am, and I'm proud of it!
Kaitlyn Menting
Kaitlyn Menting, Photographer
I'm in photojournalism, I'm a Junior, and also hoping for a great year!!