Gummy Bear Song Played During Passing Periods

The+annual+Stop+the+Music+campaign+for+LUCK+week+will+last+from+Feb.+13+to+Feb.+24.+The+song%2C+I+am+your+gummy+bear%2C+will+play+during+all+passing+periods+until+students+can+raise+%241500+for+this+years+LUCK+week+candidate%2C+Angelina.+
The annual “Stop the Music” campaign for LUCK week will last from Feb. 13 to Feb. 24. The song, “I am your gummy bear,” will play during all passing periods until students can raise $1500 for this year’s LUCK week candidate, Angelina.

Students aren’t the only things filling the halls during passing periods. Loud music blares over the speakers between classes, and only one thing will stop it: money.

Music will play over the school sound system during passing periods for the next two weeks, or until the student body raises $1,500 for LUCK (Legacy United through Caring and Kindness) week. Juniors Tori Greene and Sadie Johnson are in charge of LUCK week 2017 and have decided to extend Stop the Music an extra week to compensate for the new A/B block schedule.

“We play a song during passing periods, an annoying one, and then people pay their advisory teachers,” Greene said. “[For LUCK week], We pick someone with a threatening disease and try to raise money for them. Until we reach our $1,500 goal, we play the music nonstop during passing periods.”

STUCO puts on the annual “Stop the Music” fundraiser as an incentive for students to give during LUCK week which is scheduled for the week of Feb. 21-24. This year’s candidate is 8-year-old Angelina. STUCO sponsor Mrs. Julie Daniels counts and collects the money.

“It’s really up to the students when they want [the music] to go away,” Mrs. Daniel said. “We’re raising money to help [Angelina] with needs.”

Teachers are periodically turning in money to the STUCO room, so a running total is being kept of the funds raised. When the $1,500 goal is reached, Stop the Music will retreat back into its lair for another year.

“We’re trying to do a bunch of little things for [Angelina],” Greene said. “We’re just trying to raise money that way they have wiggle room to do fun stuff for her.”

Students can give money to their advisory teacher to stop the music and donate to LUCK week. The fundraiser will go on from Feb. 13 to Feb. 24.

Jake Stacks
Jake Stacks, News Editor
Jesus. That's pretty much it.