MISD Introduces School of Choice

Photo by Sara Gerges
Starting in the 2017-18 school year, MISD will offer School of Choice, a new program allowing students to engage in special programs that align with their passion despite their designated attendance zone. The School of Choice program will feature a STEM academy, leadership academics and an early college high school.

Starting in the 2017-18 school year, MISD will offer School of Choice, a new program allowing students to engage in special programs that align with their passion despite their designated attendance zone. The School of Choice program will feature a STEM academy, leadership academics and an early college high school. Ms. Erica Bennett, the Early College High School’s academic associate principal, said students who attend the Early College High School will have a more rigorous high school experience, as the program will not offer any regular courses.

“They will balance the life of a teenager, high school and college student with the help of the school,” Ms. Bennett said. “They will attend football games at their residential high school with their friends, they can go to homecoming, they’ll be able to dance at prom but most of their evenings will be spent studying.”

The TCC Southeast Early College High School at Timberview will be offered to the class of 2021 freshmen and following classes. After applying, 75 freshmen will be chosen to earn both a high school diploma and an associate’s degree — essentially 60 hours. Ms. Bennett mentioned that the Early College High School will give students an opportunity to focus on possible career options.

Our students will be able to accelerate through the high school graduation curriculum, opening the doors for more college courses for them to take

— Ms. Erica Bennett

“The goal of the ECHS is to allow a student to accelerate through their high school curriculum with room to knock out their core college curriculum and possible career-focused college courses,” Ms. Bennett said.

Due to the focus of the program being placed on academics, it will not offer UIL athletics or UIL fine arts. However, students will fall under the same distinguished graduation plan as their peers. For example, students will take a college kinesiology course to satisfy their high school P.E. requirement and their college curriculum.

“Our students will be able to accelerate through the high school graduation curriculum, opening the doors for more college courses for them to take,” Ms. Bennett said.

Applications can be found on the MISD website or by a student counselor. Applications can be turned in at the MISD Student Services office. An informative parent meeting will be held on Feb. 13 at Timberview. Bennett said that the program requires students to look forward to a more challenging experience.

“Students who want to be a part of the ECHS experience demand the rigorous curriculum,” Ms. Bennett said. “[The students] have the potential to stay focused as they work towards their high school diploma and two years of college.”