JROTC Iron Broncos Place 13th in Nation

Senior Zach Horn salutes during the Veterans Day parade on Nov. 11, 2016. Horn and the JROTC program traveled to the Army Nationals Drill Competition in Louisville, Kentucky, where they took 13th place in the nation.
Photo by Shirley Garay

For most Legacy students, Louisville, Kentucky is a long way from home. But the Iron Bronco JROTC program is right at home: this is the third year in a row that Legacy has competed at the national level. Legacy took 13th in the nation, of 1625 Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps programs, at the US Army Nationals held in Louisville on April 1.  Sgt. Major Eric Smith leads and teaches JROTC at Legacy and feels proud of his cadets.

“Being 13th across the United States is just a blessing within itself,” Sgt. Major Smith said. “I always tell [my cadets] mission accomplished.”

The Iron Broncos were the only MISD program to make it to the national competition. Cadets participated in Exhibition (rifle spinning), Regulation (marching), Inspection (answering questions from a superior officer), and Color Guard (flag spinning) drills. Senior Carter Bonneau was one of the cadets on the nationals team.

“[This team] means a lot,” Bonneau said. “I’ve been a part of [JROTC ] since I was a sophomore. It’s been fantastic.”

Legacy JROTC is co-lead by Sgt. James Watkins, who believes that the team worked hard for their position in the national competition. Sgt. Watkins also believes that the Iron Broncos stood out among the best of the best.

“I think the coolest thing was that everywhere the Iron Broncos appear, people stop everything they’re doing and pay attention to that team,”  Sgt. Watkins said. “I’m highly confident that every one of these members of this drill team will go on and do even greater, more important things in their lives.”

Jake Stacks
Jake Stacks, News Editor
Jesus. That's pretty much it.