Five Anticipated Summer Albums

Five Anticipated Summer Albums
Photo by Used with permission from Pexels

So far, 2017 has been a rollercoaster of a year for music junkies like myself. The whole year promised much, delivered some and missed a few. This summer in particular holds the potential to be an awestruck, modern masterclass in musical artistry. These are some of the industry’s most anticipated albums, summer-style:

Bleachers – Gone Now
It has been nearly three years since New York indie pop outfit Bleachers dropped their debut album Strange Desire. While the guitar-heavy record left a lot to be desired, Jack Antonoff and his band showed glimpses of real potential in the album’s released singles, particularly with the thunderous melodies on “I Wanna Get Better.” Adding to the hype surrounding this project, Antonoff has developed a close partnership with Lorde in creating her new album slated to be released only days later. It will be interesting to see how the two artists, who vary greatly in style, influence each other on their respective releases. (Release: June 2)

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – Murder of the Universe
Fresh off the back of their thoroughly exhilarating February album, Flying Microtonal Banana, King Gizzard aims for a one-two punch of thumping psychedelic-rock stunners with this release. The Australian-based band has built up a reputation of being an ambitious, thematically adventurous outfit capable of owning major stylistic changes. And with plans for releasing five albums in 2017, nobody has a clue what these next few records will have in store for audiences. (Release: June 23)

Fleet Foxes – Crack Up
The kings of folk are back. Robin Pecknold and his jaw-dropping vocals, along with the rest of the band, end a four year hiatus with the release of this new record. The critically acclaimed quintet, now without Josh Tillman, a.k.a. Father John Misty, have yet to release an underwhelming album in the eyes of many. With six years separating the band’s last full-length album and this release, it would not be surprising to hear a few new ideas shine through the highly anticipated comeback. (Release: June 16)

LCD Soundsystem – Untitled
For better or for worse, LCD Soundsystem looks to be coming back in the late summer. The ever-talented James Murphy has re-emerged from the depths of the band break-up abyss much to the surprise of fans and critics alike. Regardless of the controversy surrounding the band’s peculiar comeback, Murphy’s reputation for producing emotionally empowered dance music speaks for itself, more than justifying the hype for this album. (Release: Unknown)

Lorde- Melodrama
I don’t think I’d be alone in saying that it has been an agonizingly long wait for this record. The talented lyricist and seizure-inducing dance master herself, Ella Yelich-O’Connor, otherwise known as Lorde, looks to stop the industry dead in its tracks with this new release just as she did with the modern classic, Pure Heroine. With released tracks “Green Light” and “Liability” hinting at a renewed artistic vision, the captivating kiwi looks to have a few new tricks up her sleeve this summer. All that die-hard fans, like myself, can do now consists of eagerly waiting and eagerly praying. (Release: June 16)

Jose Cruz, The Arena Copy Editor, Staff Writer
Heyo, I'm Jose. I'm a staff writer for The Rider Online and I'm the Yearbook Copy Editor. I love to write and I love (good) music. I have a love/hate relationship with ranch and I can't wait to finally graduate.