My Tips for a Successful School Year

My Tips for a Successful School Year
Photo by unknown
As a student, walking into school after a long summer brings to mind several varying thoughts. The hallways, desks and people are all reminiscent of the newly arrived school year. Getting excited for the new school year can be a challenge for most students, but there are some simple ways to get involved and enjoy the year. 

In a new year with new classes, teachers and friends finding an activity to participate in can get the year going on a positive note. A passion, hobby, life-long goal or simple interest in an activity can be safe grounds to give a try to just about anything.

“I was motivated to join JROTC because I want to be in the military after high school,” senior Dustin Red Eagle said. “And Broadcast always seemed fun to me, so when they [the counselors] put me in it, I saw it as an opportunity to pursue my interest.”

Getting involved in an activity doesn’t need to be motivated by an interest, however. A simple drive to do better can make you more involved throughout the year, either in extracurricular or academic activities. Motivation toward school can be created by spending more time working at an activity. With motivation, students can perform better, get more involved and even build more interest into coming to school in general. By using interest to make the school year more exciting, students’ school years can become more successful.

Aside from involvement, there are more helpful ways to make your year more successful.

1. Get something to keep track of important dates. It may not seem like a big deal now, but when you walk into class after a long night of homework and realize you forgot your other important assignment or test, you’re going to wish you had kept track.

2. Ask teachers for help. If you are doing anything throughout the school year, a math class for example, and you can’t understand what must be done, try to clear up any misunderstandings. Learning functionally during a lesson requires understanding, and without it, a better understanding cannot be established.

3. Find a group of friends to study with. Finding some friends who want to get together and study can help make homework and other assignments easier, and benefit one’s understanding of the work. They can give you input on papers, and help point out areas in school where you may have difficulties.

At a first glance, the school year may seem like a monstrous task to handle. However, by following these simple tips, breaking down the year into manageable portions will be a lot easier, and making this year a successful one will not be so difficult.