Review: This Is Us

Katherine Powell, 11, reviews NBCs new fall drama, This Is Us.
Photo by Photo from NBC
Katherine Powell, 11, reviews NBC’s new fall drama, This Is Us.

Every few years, a show comes along that has a true message. This year, that show goes by the name, “This Is Us.” The message of this show promotes hope, family and most importantly love.

The show portrays a group of people who share the same birthday. It goes on to show how all these people related in some way to each other. I love the way each character has their own story. Katie, played by Chrissy Metz one of the main characters, an overweight 36 year old struggling to lose the weight. Her brother, Kevin, played by Justin Hartley an actor tired of his pointless roles. Randall, portrayed by Sterling K. Brown a wealthy businessman, who struggles with the issue of finding his biological father, a drug addict that left him at a fire station when he was born. Milo Ventimiglia and Mandy Moore play the last two main characters named Jack and Rebecca, a married couple expecting triplets.

“This Is Us” has gotten great reviews from critics and viewers because of its authenticity. The characters feel like real people with real problems. I think everyone can relate to one of the characters in some way. It shows the power of family but also the struggles of parenting and having a family. But the show offers hope, a rare element to find on television nowadays. It seems like so many shows on TV now relate to death or violence, this show doesn’t.

If you’re looking for a feel-good show about family, I highly recommend ‘This Is Us.” As cliche as it sounds, the show really will make you laugh and cry. During the first episode I had a box of tissues in my lap the whole time. A twist at the end of the first episode left myself and other viewers shocked. So go set your DVR for Tuesdays at nine for one of the best shows on tv right now.

Katherine Powell
Katherine Powell, Entertainment Editor
Hi, I am the entertainment editor for The Rider Online. Follow me on twitter @kgpowell99