Advisory Changes Implemented to Encourage Attendance

Review: 1102 Boba

Saella Ware, 10, reviews 1102 Boba located in Dallas.
Photo by Saella Ware

From the outside, 1102 Boba seemed like a drab. Nothing struck my fancy, and had it not been for the boba inside and my everlasting addiction to it, I would have never stepped foot in the tiny corner shop.

To start off, boba is a delicious drink. It typically features a milk tea or regular tea with tapioca balls at the bottom. Boba can also be referred to as bubble tea. It sounds weird at first and has a bit of a funny texture, but trust me, don’t knock it until you try it.

What’s Interesting About 1102:

The cute 1102 building certainly provides a new and unexpected experience since it’s one of those shops you would never expect to find in Texas. It’s very cutesy and has the persona of the average high-end shop you tend to find in New York. It’s the delicacy of shops in the DFW area and is certainly worth every cent.

What to try:

Drinks:
The shop is very unique and has a variety of cool little things to try. All of the boba is great, but if you’d like to try something new and different, I’d definitely recommend getting lavender or rose milk tea with boba and taro pudding. If you aren’t a milk tea person, I’d suggest the mango or honey lemon boba or the fresh smoothies.

With all of this being said, milk teas are still the way to go in my opinion. Depending on the beverage, you can have it served in a variety of containers, such as a large light bulb, jar or coffee pot. Also, they have this really cool “Gas Station” option where you get to pick two milk tea flavors. It’s really cool, and if you don’t plan on going there often, I definitely recommend trying it.

Food:
The restaurant offers a variety of food. Although the menu consists of primarily Asian cuisine, 1102 offers food choices that can appeal to all of their customers. For those with a sweeter tooth, they have ice cream in a bucket with a shovel as well as strawberry crepes. Both are absolutely delicious. They also have flan, macarons, creme brulee and salads.

Things to Keep in Mind:
The 1102 Boba tends to be a family-friendly oriented shop, but sometimes the music gets played extremely loud and has explicit language your younger sibling or child may not want hear. Something else to consider is that it’s a very small space and can get quite busy, so you’re not guaranteed to have a seat if you chose to spend your time studying there. Most times, though, you should be fine.

Another thing to take into consideration when coming here is the cost of the boba. For high schoolers, especially, we typically don’t have an abundance of funds, so the price may be an issue. The cost of boba is slightly more expensive here by about a $1.50 which can easily add up. These are few negative factors, but I’d still say that it is worth it to go just for something new to try out.

Overall, 1102 is a fun and fashionable place. If you need a place to get away from all of the distractions that come with staying at school late or being home with a family, it’s a great spot to hang out, grab a bite and do homework. The workers are polite, the food tastes delicious and the space is very nicely designed. Yes, I mentioned that the price could be an issue above in the cons, but honestly, you’re paying for the atmosphere and the aesthetic. Going to 1102 is a like letting a kid go to the candy shop.

Take a chance and try something new. You might find that you like it.

Saella Ware
Saella Ware, Staff Writer
Hey, it's Saella. I'm kinda weird and quirky, so if you enjoy that type of stuff, you'll hopefully like me and my stories. I'm sort of a boba addict and quite the travel/food connoisseur. I know, big word. I'm proud of myself. Anyway, ciao!