Review: Taylor Swift-Reputation

Taylor Swifts, sixth album was released on Nov. 10, 2017.
Photo by Big Machine Records
Taylor Swift’s, sixth album was released on Nov. 10, 2017.

Taylor is back! Three years after releasing 1989, Taylor Swift released her anticipated new album, Reputation. Swift sold 800,000 copies of Reputation in just the first hour of it being released on iTunes. In a broad sense, Reputation is an edgier, darker, more grown up version of 1989.

The year of 2016 was a rough one for Taylor Swift. She was in a feud with Kanye West and Kim Kardashian, along with a rough breakup from long time boyfriend, Calvin Harris. Harris took to Twitter to attack the singer. Swift managed to take all the anger from the past year and make this album. The first single “Look What You Made Me Do” was not the best choice for the first preview of Reputation and was obviously a diss track toward Kanye. It’s definitely the weakest song on the album, but it made a statement: “The old Taylor is dead.” Swift is completely remodeling her image.

From her debut album to Reputation, Swift has evolved from a young country singer to a full-blown pop star. Swift goes more in depth about her relationships than she ever has, proving she is madly in love with her boyfriend, Joe Alwyn. Swift features guest spots from English singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran and Atlanta rapper Future in “End Game.” It’s a fast, up-tempo song, which is surprising compared to Taylor’s other collaborations with Sheeran.

While Reputation is different from 1989, there are similarities. The beginning of song “Dress” sounds similar to “I Wish You Would.” Swift says the old Taylor is dead, but is she really? Swift wants to remodel her image and turn into this “bad girl,” but traces of her old self can still be found everywhere.

Overall, Reputation brings us into a new era of Taylor Swift. People may love it, people may hate it, but this album displays how much Swift has grown while laying low for the past few years. She worked hard to try and change how people look at her. Reputation proves Taylor’s happy in her new relationship reputation.

Tracks to listen to: New Year’s Day, Don’t Blame Me, Delicate
9/10

Katherine Powell
Katherine Powell, Entertainment Editor
Hi, I am the entertainment editor for The Rider Online. Follow me on twitter @kgpowell99