Preview: Love, Simon

Love, Simon, hits theaters in March, 2018. It's adapted from the book

20th Century Fox

Love, Simon, hits theaters in March, 2018. It's adapted from the book "Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.”

Cameron Dudzinski, Staff Writer

Coming out, March 16, 2018, a movie adaptation of the novel “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda” comes to theaters called “Love, Simon.”

The coming of age novel written by Becky Albertalli, deals with the themes of identity, growing up, high school, love and the drama-filled in life.

The movie and book follow the protagonist, 17-year-old Simon Spier, a high schooler trying to find his identity in life. He hasn’t told his family or friends about his sexuality of being gay, and when certain emails fall into the wrong hands, Simon deals with blackmail that complicates his drama (outside of his musical).

The book and protagonist focus on the subject of equality a lot, especially when it comes to sexualities and identity.

“It is definitely annoying that straight (and white, for that matter) is the default, and that the only people who have to think about their identity are the ones who don’t fit that mold. Straight people really should have to come out, and the more awkward it is, the better. Awkwardness should be a requirement.” Simon Spier, “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.”

Simon tries to explain how everyone should have to go through the feeling of coming out. Along with straights, it would make everything equally as awkward and hard to do. It’s understood through the reader how we would all want to be equally as awkward coming out with our identities.

The revolving theme of sexuality is a main theme in the novel and movie. Simon as a homosexual has no idea how to come out to his family or friends and, instead, bottles it up. Simon vents his issues to a mysterious user named Blue. The two met through the Creek Secrets, the high school’s Tumblr page. While Blue remains anonymous, it is apparent that they go to the same school, but refuse to talk about school-related activities to hide their identity.

Many teens and young adults can relate to the themes of this book and movie while dealing with life’s struggles and high school. It makes for an excellent read, and a great film to look forward to for this new year.

The book is so unique and important in today’s society because of the themes of sexual identity. In this age, the LGBT community has expanded since the past. This novel is significant in the fact that it focuses on finding who you are, regardless of the world you live in.

Simon Spier will be played by Nick Robinson. Robinson is best known for his starring role in the CBS Films “The Kings of Summer.” This was followed by a lead role in the Universal action adventure sequel “Jurassic World.”

The cast list is filled with many loveable and talented individuals, such as; Keiynan Lonsdale as Bram Greenfield, Katherine Langford as Leah Burke, Alexandra Shipp as Abby Suso, Jorge Lendeborg Jr. as Nick Eisner, and many more.

Overall, “Love, Simon” will be a remarkable movie adaptation of it’s respected novel. It will portray just how hard and odd high school can be, while also trying to find your identity through the mess we call our teenage years.

About the Writer
Cameron Dudzinski, Newspaper
I’m Cameron, I have always wanted to be in Newspaper since my mother taught journalism and told me all about it. I love to write and create stories for people to enjoy.