Capturing The Flying Squirrel
Capturing The Flying Squirrel

JROTC Instructor’s Son Follows His Career Choice

Master Sergeant James Law stands in the JROTC office looking at a picture of his son, who’s currently in Iraq. He admires the image with love, recollection and honor, recalling that his son, Casey, follows in his footsteps.

Casey Law enlisted in the Army National Guard in December 2003 at the age of 17. He joined while his father was mobilized at Fort Benning, Georgia awaiting deployment to Iraq.

In 2006 Casey was deployed to Iraq, coincidently to the same location his father was two years earlier.

“As a parent I was concerned; however as a career soldier I understood his decision,” JROTC Instructor, Master Sergeant (MSG) James Law said.

Casey is in the aviation branch of the Army National Guard. He flies a Blackhawk helicopter as somewhat of an air traffic controller. At times, he is ordered to do door gunning, in which case he stands at the door of the flying helicopter and shoots below him.

“When he did it at Fort Hood, he enjoyed it, but when he got to Iraq he learned it was much more intense than he initially thought,” Master Sergeant Law said.

While he’s in the Army, Casey’s wife can use his GI bill to attend college. Also the medical benefits, dental benefits and housing allowances are bonuses him and his family can use. The pay is another of the benefits. How much earned depends on the rank of the soldier and how many years they have served. Also, a soldier with dependents would make more than a soldier without dependents.

When Casey was in Iraq, his father would read the clips about anything that happened there. At the time he was in a position where he would find out before the public did.

“I’m worried during deployment; probably worried just as much as any parent, but being  there I understand the environment,” MSG Law said.

MSG Law moved to Texas from Alabama while his son was still in Iraq. Later on, Casey was sent back to be put on active duty in Alabama causing the family to only see him three or four times a year. When Casey was in Iraq he wasn’t able to speak to his family much, but now he communicates to his family everyday.

According to Sergeant Major Eric Smith, being in the Army is different for each individual. Comparing an infantryman to an administrative clerk yields a different experience.

“It’s almost like you’re in a different world,” SGM Smith said.

“His mother was not very happy to begin with when he enlisted, but she’s okay with it now,” MSG Law said. “When he deployed to Iraq it was difficult for her because he was just 19.”

Currently, Casey is serving in the 131 Aviation Battalion and preparing to mobilize and deploy to Afghanistan. According to MSG Law, his son Sergeant Casey Law served in Iraq with distinction. He was awarded the Army Commendation Medal and the Combat Action badge.

“I am very proud of him, especially now that he finished tour in Iraq and is going to Afghanistan,” MSG Law said.

MSG Law says being in the Army greatly affects families’ lives at home. Those in the Armed Services miss holidays, birthdays, funerals, and other adventures that they normally wouldn’t miss.

“They are events that you can never get back,” MSG Law said. “That definitely puts it in perspective.”

$3000
$5000