Future Fighters

Walking the blood soaked floor, it feels like there are still over a thousand fans in the stands, as if the match changing armbar was still happening. Everyone has gone, though. It’s dark. Standing in the middle of the octagon, even those who did not witness the story could tell it. The story of the men who fought here. Herrera and Tzourtzouklis don’t just know this story; they live it.

Herrera strives to improve his UFC routines with intense training every day. He was on the USA team from January to August, before quitting on his own terms.

“I work twice as hard everyday so that I can compete with the best,” Herrera said. “I train my mind and body to remind myself that one day I will be the best in UFC.”

Herrera competes in one of the many styles of UFC; Muay Thai, a form of martial arts originating from Thailand, similar to different styles of kickboxing. He also participates in Romanian Boxing and Judo.

“I like these styles because each is unique and you have to work hard to master them,” Herrera said.

Zack Tzourtzouklis,11, has competed in the Naga tournament, a grappling tournament, four times. Tzourtzouklis views MMA, Mixed Martial Arts, very seriously. MMA is similar to kickboxing with the exception of more ground work.

“Whether I win or lose each fight adds to my experience and strength,” Tzourtzouklis said.

Tzourtzouklis has been practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for the past two years, and it has become a natural instinct for him.

“I don’t fight because I like to hurt people,” Tzourtzouklis said. “I fight as an art form, as a way of life.”

Started by Arthur Davie and Rorion Gracie, UFC was inspired by Vale Tudo tournaments in Brazil. It was originally made to determine which fighting style was the best. The first competition was held in Denver, Colorado in 1993.

“There is something so pure about the sport, when it is just you and your opponent it is as if your in a whole different, more natural world,” Tzourtzouklis said.

$3000
$5000