MISD Offers Multi-Scholarship Application

With the second semester just beginning seniors are even closer to graduating and are looking at colleges as well as opportunities for financial aid and scholarships.

Currently the MISD website offers information on a Multi-Scholarship Program for graduating seniors until Feb. 23. Seniors must fill out the application packet, one page student resumé and complete the one page essay. In addition to the MISD offering, there are many other scholarships available.

“Students need to be proactive,” Counselor Dana Railsback said. “Students need to spend one hour a week looking, and pay attention to deadlines.”

Scholarship information can be found on the the campus website, which is constantly updated with current available scholarships. Another source is to go on any online search engine, such as Google or Yahoo, and type in “free scholarships.”

According to counselors students may also ask their parents about available scholarships at their jobs or organizations they might be involved in such as military or even certain banks. The hardest part about the scholarships is actually doing the work.

“A lot of students don’t want to take the time,” Railsback said. “They bypass the work.”

Not having a high GPA will not necessarily compromise a students eligibility to receive all scholarships. As long as they try students can get the help they need to further their education.

“There is money,” Railsback said. “Students just have to put in the time.”