Advisory Changes Implemented to Encourage Attendance
Everything You Need to Know About the Solar Eclipse

Checking on Chess Club

Checking on Chess Club

The low hum of voices grows as the members of chess club enter math teacher Mrs. Sara Kamphaus’s room. Four seniors including Jai Carter and Elijah Dickerell take a seat in the back left corner, chatting, laughing, and playing on an iPad.

“These are Hay Stacks, if you like butterscotch then try them,” Mrs. Kamphaus said, gesturing to the opened container of homemade cookies. Then she searches for a photographer to take the club picture for the yearbook.

Junior Cynthia Garza remembered to wear her Chess Club t-shirt for the picture but notices nobody else has.

“Our photographer is here, do you want to get a chess board?” Mrs. Kamphaus says.

The group goes to the circle in front of the school to take the yearbook picture. They flash their “Cool Club” signs, making crossing C’s with their hands. Multiple re-takes are required since hair kept flying into people’s faces. The group then heads back to the classroom to discuss new ideas for next year.

“Let’s have Chess With Friends required for all members,” senior Elijah Dickerell said. Officer positions and names are written on the board. A position for an official tournament planner is created, in hopes to expand the club. “This is the wall of swag,” Carter says.

This meeting ends with sophomore Daisy Enriquez and Carter talking about logarithims and solving a few.

Chess Club usually consists of card games, baked goods and the occasional game of chess. The players invented a new way to play chess called ‘puppet chess,’ where two people act as ’puppets’ and are manipulated by other members.

“I like it [chess] because I grew up playing with my father, it was a family event,” Dickerell said.

Madison Fountain, Personalities Editor
Hey, this is Madison! I'm your personalities editor here on The Rider. It's my senior year, but I have been on staff since I was a young sophomore. I enjoy long, romantic walks to the fridge and doing backflips through the school hallway while singing showtunes loudly. Juuuust kidding... sort of. Anyway, I'm also very involved in theatre (I wonder if they'll let me keep this spelling on the website). I'm kind of loud and I get distracted easily sometimes, but I'm ready to work hard this year as an editor and make The Rider the best it has ever been. [email protected]