MISD to Rezone School Districts

Used with permission of mansfieldisd.org.

In effort to keep the populations evenly distributed among the schools in the district, the school board will put together a committee to decide on a new boundary map. The committee’s first meeting will take place on Monday, February 24.

MISD’s demographer noted that Lakeridge is projected to exceed capacity, Danny Jones Middle school has nearly reached maximum capacity and Mary Lillard Intermediate has exceeded capacity. Overall, the population of the students has not increased but there has been a shift in the total population across Mansfield.

The 25 committee members will give input and voice their concerns and opinions on the new zones. With the help of the demographer, the committee and its leader, Darrell Sneed, the committee will draw several new maps to present to the school board on March 25.

Two parent information meetings are scheduled for February 11 and February 13 at Lake Ridge. Parents and students can give some opinion and voice their concerns to the school board and committee. Meetings will provide valuable information for the parents about rising school populations and possible solutions.

“We want to do what’s best for the entire school district,” Sneed said. “I think that’s critical.”