Cheer Holds Clinic for Future Broncos

Rylee Cortines, 11, and fellow Legacy High School cheerleaders walk in the Toys for Tots parade.(Dalton Mix photo)

Kendra Washington, Staff Writer

Cheer will hold a clinic for kindergarten through fourth grade girls on Dec. 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. All participants must be at least five years old. Girls attending the clinic will need to have a payment of thirty dollars and a completed registration form mailed to Legacy or given to the receptionist by the time of the clinic. Registration will be available the morning of the clinic, but the cost will be $35 and the participant will not be guaranteed a clinic shirt.

“This clinic is a great experience for everyone involved,” Cheer Coach Jessica Watson said.

Participants will need to arrive by 9:30 a.m. with a sack lunch. They will need to have their hair pulled back and be dressed in athletic shorts and tennis or cheer shoes. All participants are welcomed to join the cheerleaders during halftime on Dec. 18. Girls performing during halftime need to arrive in the varsity gym at 6:30 p.m. wearing their clinic shirt or red, black and white. Senior cheerleader Callie Hutchinson started out as a participant in this very same clinic in fourth grade.

“They don’t necessarily always learn the cheers very well, because most of them are so young,” Hutchinson said, “but they get to jump around and they like to be there.”

The clinic seeks to build participants confidence and cheerleading skills. The clinic will also give parents free time to go holiday shopping. During the clinic participants will be apart of ice breakers, stretch, learn basic motion and jump technique and voice projection. They will also learn a cheer, two chants and a dance and take pictures during the clinic. Senior cheerleader Amanda Fowler likes that she gets to bond with the future broncos.

“Usually one or a few the girls will like cling to one of us,” Fowler said. “They figure out our names and what we like and they bond with us throughout the day, it’s really cute.”

This isn’t the first time that these girls have gotten a chance to interact with the cheerleaders. The cheerleaders are constantly at elementary schools in MISD volunteering at school events, performing at pep rallies, working at carnivals and helping out during morning drop off. Many of the senior cheerleaders have been invited to join the NCA staff where they will be mentoring hundreds of middle and high school girls at the NCA cheer camp next summer.

“This is a great way for them to see if [cheer] is something they are interested in committing to,” Coach Watson said. “The cheerleaders are able to share and foster a love of cheer while teaching the younger girls basic cheer skills.”