Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond
Photojournalism Heads to the Zoo
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond

Students Feeding Champions: Meal Program Allows Students to Help Athletes

Senior Grant Johnson runs the ball in the first football practice of the year. After practice, Johnson and his teammates had the opportunity to eat a meal, but until students take the job over, athletes will not be able to have this extra fuel after workouts.

Students have the unique opportunity to lend a hand to athletes by serving food after school. Be A Champion, the managing company, prepares and delivers the meals, but lacks distributors. Students who want to hand out meals will earn nine dollars an hour for lending their time to help Legacy athletic programs. Head Coach Chris Melson supports the nutritional initiative.

“It’s a great program, what they’re having a hard time with now is staffing it,” Coach Melson said. “It’s positive. We need somebody hired.”

Last year, junior Keslyn King and graduate Grace Daniels staffed the concession stand. Their job included setting out the pre-packaged meals, taking the names of athletes who got a meal and handing out the food.

“I enjoyed interacting with all the athletes and helping them refuel after a hard workout,” King said.

Be A Champion came to Legacy because of the 50 percent of the student population on free and reduced lunch. Many athletes and students go home on an empty stomach. Coach Melson hopes that the program will be taken up by students because he doesn’t want to see his players go hungry.

“This fall, they haven’t hired anybody. They kind of had to stop it because there’s nobody here to distribute,” Coach Melson said. “Hopefully it gives [the athletes] a little nutrition, so they don’t have to worry about if [they’re] going to eat tonight.”

Students can contact Coach Melson to apply for the job.

Jake Stacks
Jake Stacks, News Editor
Jesus. That's pretty much it.