The Rider Online | Legacy HS Student Media

Off-Campus Lunches Benefit Students, District

Madison Hunter

All through middle school, students dream of McDonald’s or Taco Bell for lunch instead of school lunches. However, students don’t have that opportunity here. All students must stay on campus for lunch and eat what the school provided for them or what they buy themselves. Students deserve to have some freedom. Students deserve to be trusted enough to eat lunch and return to school on time. They deserve off-campus lunches.

If students have the privilege of off-campus lunch, they will gain more responsibility and more experience on how the real world works. If students stand in a cafeteria line everyday, they won’t get out and realize spending more money on food everyday costs a lot more. Students, especially those who are about to graduate, need to know what to expect when they’re on their own.

By letting students go off campus for lunch, administrators could also save some money and use it for different things, such as new equipment for sports teams. The more students are able to go off campus, the fewer students stay at school to eat school food, which the school sells cheaply. Administrators wouldn’t need to buy that extra food and the students who go off campus wouldn’t waste the food they do buy. Students would also be helping out local businesses such as Taco Bell and Whataburger by eating there for lunch, and with the economy the way it is those businesses need a bit of help.

Administrators argue they’re making sure students don’t skip classes by keeping us on campus. They don’t trust a majority of students to go get something to eat and come back. However, having students leave their ID cards at the office while they go out and only being able to get it once they return on time can solve this. There’s also the issue of our safety. Lunch rush can be dangerous, especially if teens race to get to their destination and back to school on time. But students should be responsible for our own actions. Most teens with a license know the rules of the road and will follow them closely.

Administrators should let students go off campus for lunch. It saves school funding, it gives students a sense of freedom and responsibility and they deserve to be trusted for their 45 minutes of lunch.

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

About the Writer
Madison Hunter, Staff Writer

Hey guys, I’m Madison. This is my second year in newspaper and I genuinely hope that I can carry on writing interesting stories. I’m quiet and shy, but when you get to know me, I can be a little crazy, maybe even fun. I enjoy a variety of activities such as track, reading, writing, eating and singing. I am definitely not opposed to trying new things or trying to make new friends. While I have a fun side, I also have a serious side that never seems to talk or joke around. I see myself as a hard worker and try to get things done as soon as possible. This year will be fun. I can’t wait to spend another year putting smiles on everyone’s faces. Hope you all have a wonderful school year and enjoy The Rider Online.
[email protected]

12 Comments

12 Responses to “Off-Campus Lunches Benefit Students, District”

1. MIMI on April 9th, 2015 1:02 pm

I love it !!!

2. john on January 7th, 2016 11:14 am

i think they should

3. madi on February 10th, 2016 10:47 am

i think students should be trusted more than we are. Not all of us are bad! I think if we get a parent signature saying it should be good. -7th grade

4. ethan harris on March 24th, 2016 8:00 am

hi i think itl b a good idea

5. anna robinson on April 15th, 2016 8:19 am

I think students like me and you should be able to eat off campus lunch too! Right now I was given an assignment to write an argumentative essay and this is my topic! 🙂

6. GabbI Lamb on April 28th, 2016 10:35 am

same

7. shawn foreman on November 27th, 2016 10:56 pm

I think this would apply more to highschoolers than kids in middle school

8. Ossiel Salinas on September 26th, 2017 11:42 am

I am a high school student MANOR high and this would be very beneficial to the joinors and seniors. Because they have their own way of transportation, it also gives them practice for when they go to college.

9. Naomi Lynn on December 12th, 2017 7:59 pm

Having off campus lunches would only work if students had vehicles of transportation, which for lower class families, is not a possibility. So open campus lunches would not take in account for the entire school. For some families, they rely off the cheap meals provided by the school. This article also does not This article does not have any facts to support their claims, and talk about the safety concerns. Crash involvement rates for 16-18 year-olds are higher in counties where teens are permitted to drive away from school during lunch, accourding to the IIHS organization (highway safety).

10. Anonymous on March 6th, 2018 10:00 pm

They don’t need facts to support this is the truth and I know crash ratings are high but not everyone is a bad driver. Of course students want to drive fast but they aren’t stupid they can see other cars that are going to hit them. Students hate the school lunches and I know some people are poor but hey they have to suck it up of go with their friends this should be allowed and u don’t have any right to say any different its not like u are some one important!!!!!!!!

11. Ana on April 3rd, 2018 9:50 am

Just because some of us are poor doesn’t mean that we have to “suck it up” it isn’t in any way our fault that our parents income is not enough to be able to eat out. We have to eat school lunch not because we want to but because we have to. We already know that our parents bearly have enough to feed us so why would we waste more money when we can get free lunch. If this comment offends anyone I am sorry but this is a reality a lot of us face. Please don’t just think of those who have money to waste also think about us. Thanks.- an 8th grade student aware of how much parents work to support us

12. Jensen on October 1st, 2018 10:43 am

Students should be able to leave because it allows us to be responsible and trusted.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Off-Campus Lunches Benefit Students, District

LBTV

Weekly Bronco Minute 10/19

• Off-Campus Lunches Benefit Students, District

Entertainment

Review: ‘Peter and The Starcatcher’

• Off-Campus Lunches Benefit Students, District