Opinion: Homecoming Campaigning

Ayo Abiara, 12, and Jalen Catalon, 12, rehearse for the homecoming festivities on Oct. 9 on the band practice field. Homecoming king and queen will be announced during halftime at the game on Oct. 12.

Amara Shanks

During homecoming king and queen nominations, StuCo enforced the rule to prohibit homecoming court candidates to campaign. To make the race more fair, StuCo should allow campaigning so every student can have their voice heard.

Not only does this new rule not allow people to campaign in the school, it doesn’t allow students to ask for votes personally. This policy includes through social media, causing an upset and drama. Students started to expose one another’s post on social media to disqualify them, this took out the fun competitiveness homecoming always has.

StuCo members will not allow students to advertise for votes because they don’t want the race to become a popularity contest. Instead, they want a student to win based on character. This new policy does the complete opposite.

Some students are more known around school than others. Everyone at the school knew when the football team went to fifth round playoffs, but not many people knew when the bowling team went to state last year. Popularity will get already votes.

Another option allows each club or organization to nominate one girl and boy for homecoming court. This would help everyone have an equal opportunity, and lower the chances of only nominating the most known people.

Instead of people having to expose one another to get votes, we should go back to the traditional ways of hanging posters and handing out pins to get votes. This method makes homecoming simpler and help us remember the origin of homecoming, alumni.

Jaden McKinnon, Staff Writer

Hey, I play basketball and whatever.

Amara Shanks, Staff Writer

Hi, I’m Amara Shanks and I’m sophomore. Things I like to do in my free time would be; sleeping, singing and yelling at my brother. Some people say I’m extremely extra but I say that I am just really outgoing. I love food to death and my favorite restaurant is Pluckers.