Jacy Hinkle

Junior Jacy Hinkle leads the Silver Spurs during half time

Junior Jacy Hinkle stands with her belly button tucked to her spine at the 50 yard line. Hinkle’s legs are planted firmly into the ground. The announcer tells that crowd her title, Captain. Hinkle smiles to the crowd and tries to rid of her nerves as she begins doing an assortment of leaps and turns. 

“Every time I hear my name being called on the speakers at the football game, I can’t believe it,” Hinkle said. “It is like a new realization for me every time.”

Freshman year Hinkle had to chose between playing softball or drill team. Her mom, a drill team veteran, eventually talked her into trying out for the Silver Spurs as a backup plan if softball did not work out.

“Without drill team high school would have been a lot different,” Hinkle said. “I used to be a tomboy before and being on drill team has helped save my life and showed me what makeup was and made me more girlie.”

During Hinkle’s second year on the Silver Spurs she became sophomore liteutenat. Hinkle won the title of Captain her junior year. Hinkle skipped four ranks between her sophomore and junior year something that does not happen often according to Hinkle.

“I think I made it so far in drill team because I am really dedicated and I practice all the time,” Hinkle said. “I always make sure that I am on top of things and that I have got it together.”

Hinkle’s responsibilities as captain involve being in charge of everyone on the team, telling the lieutenants what to do, and making decisions for her teammates.

“As a sophomore lieutenant it was hard telling my teammates what to do,” Hinkle said. “ But now that I have  year under my belt,  and I have gained respect. Being Captain has been a lot easier.”

Hinkle’s reasons for becoming Drill Team Captain was to help the Silver Spurs Director Brooke Parlin fulfil her plans for the 2011-2012 season and her love of dance.

“My emotions and dance incorporate together. How I feel is how I dance,” Hinkle said. “If I am sad I can dance. If I am happy I can dance. If I am mad I can dance. My emotions all lead me back to dance which is my happy place.”

The Silver Spurs have 35 members for the 2011-2012 season the largest squad that the Silver Spurs have ever had. Hinkle hopes for a larger squad for the 2012-2013 season.

“Drill Team has made me who I am right now. It has added a respect factor for myself and other people. How to have good manners and take care of myself and to keep up with myself. It is not just about dance which is what a lot of people think Drill Team is about,” Hinkle said.

Hinkle hopes to become a Drill Team Director one day and open her own dance studio.

“Dance started as the first activity that I did as a kid, and I want dance to be the last thing that I do before I die,” Hinkle said.

Carson Rahrig
Carson Rahrig, Personalities Editor
I am a pretty crazy person. I talk way too much and annoy everyone, but I guess my friends don’t mind! I laugh at pretty much anything anyone says or does. I am the person that laughs when I get in trouble (my parents are not really a fan of that). I always have a piece of gum handy, I am seriously addicted. Dancing has taken up every free second of my life since I was three, and I would not have it any other way. [email protected]