Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond
Early Voting Begins for Proposed Bond

Cody Brennan: Just For Kicks

Cody Brennan, 11, runs a drill during boys soccer class.
Photo by Mia Trahan

Junior Cody Brennan begins to chase the ball down to steal it from his opponent’s feet. He dribbles the ball down the field, kicking it into the goal to score the winning shot. He then stands on the field tired and in a haze, reflecting on his achievement.

Brennan, who has been playing soccer for almost seven years, has played on the Legacy soccer team since his freshman year. His interest began when he started playing at recess, and he wanted to turn it into something more.

“I played in elementary school at recess and thought it was fun,” Brennan said. “As I continued playing, I started taking it seriously.”

Brennan started playing in the fourth grade on a beginners YMCA team named the Hurricanes. He scored two goals in his first game and won the game for his team.

“I felt a rush of adrenaline when I scored the first goal,” Brennan said. “After scoring my second goal, I knew this was something I wanted to continue.”

After being on the YMCA team for a while, he decided he wanted a challenge and joined Mansfield Samba Futbol Club, an advanced soccer team.

“Challenging myself and joining Samba was one of the best decisions I could have made,” Brennan said. “Being on the team was helping me get better in a way the YMCA team couldn’t.”

Brennan enjoyed his time on Samba, and his love for soccer grew more as he got better. His former teammate junior Jake Smith watched Brennan grow as a player.

“He was okay when he first started, but he continued to get better as the years went on,” Smith said.

During his six years on Samba, Brennan scored 68 goals. When playing soccer for the school, he scored seven goals his sophomore year.

“I feel as if everything slows down as the ball enters the back of the net,” Brennan said. “When my team wins it feels like the next step to state.”

Brennan, who has played in many winning games, has also played in games where his team has lost.

“I feel like quitting when I lose, but I know I can’t let my team down,” Brennan said. “I try harder the next game.”

Brennan earned the title “top goal scorer” his sophomore year. He wishes to continue to play throughout his high school career.

“Soccer is something I love to do,” Brennan said. “I can’t imagine what my life would be like if I wasn’t playing.”

Mia Trahan
Mia Trahan, Photographer
Staff Photographer | Senior? Life is to short to not do savage stuff-Angelo Dude.... I FREAKING LOVE PANCAKES Last but not least... I hate Chloe :)