Down and Out: Athletes Battle Injuries

Erin McTighe, 12, assists an athlete during the Lovejoy football game.
Photo by Brandon Bosecker

Junior and softball player Shelby Owens can remember exactly when her injury happened in a game this year. Turning to catch a ball, she stepped wrong and felt a pop. Known as a subluxation, her kneecap had dislocated and then went back in place, but not all the way.

“I just stood there because it was hurting so bad,” Owens said. “Then I remember my coach took me out of the game.”

Owens had a history of knee surgeries before this year’s injury, but that never stopped her from playing. This time, however, she was really out. With the support of her teammates constantly checking up on her, she was able to stay hopeful.

“I am a little upset because I’m out,” Owens said. “But you can’t always be upset when you get hurt you just have to keep pushing through.”

Malik Babaa, 11, also had to push through when he rolled his ankle one day during football practice. Even though it hurt and swelled, Babaa kept trying to come back and practice until his coach finally told him he wouldn’t let him so the ankle would heal properly.

“I was angry and kind of frustrated because I didn’t want to sit out,” Babaa said. “I hated that I missed a bunch of practice and I missed the scrimmage.”

The ankle injury was bad, but it was less about the pain and more about missing out on practice for Babaa. The whole recovery time lasted about a week. At the end, Babaa came back with a new lesson learned.

“The best part was that it taught me to be patient,” Babaa said. “The worst part was that I missed time with my teammates and missed practicing and playing the game I love.”

Rebecca Goodman
Rebecca Goodman, Staff Writer
Hi I'm Becca! I love Tex Mex and my dog above all else. I'm a senior this year and I really really really want to go to UT Austin but if I don't get in pretend like I didn't say that. I procrastinate everything and I'm still super pale. I hope you enjoy the stories I write this year!
Brandon Bosecker
Brandon Bosecker, Photographer
Hello my name is Brandon...if you want to know more ask me