The Real Pawn Stars of Legacy

Senior+Francisco+Rodriguez+plays+chess+after+school+in+Ms.+Sara+Kamphaus+classroom.+Chess+club+meets+every+Friday+after+school+in+Ms.+Kamphaus+classroom.+
Photo by Brandon Bosecker
Senior Francisco Rodriguez plays chess after school in Ms. Sara Kamphaus’ classroom. Chess club meets every Friday after school in Ms. Kamphaus’ classroom.

Students file into math teacher Ms. Sara Kamphaus’ room at the end of the day. Some have come to retake tests or quizzes, but a select few have come for Chess Club. They go into Ms. Kamphaus’ cabinet and pull out the rolled-up chess boards and playing pieces. They pull some desks together on the far side of the room and begin playing.

“Let’s play three-way chess,” one member joked as he watches his two companions set the board to begin a game.

As they begin the game, they make calculated moves in quick succession. However, as the game goes on and each member collects pieces from their opponent, they slow down to make small talk about school and each of their days as they plan their next moves.

“Oh my God, why do you make life difficult,” laments senior Joey Leavell as his opponent contemplates taking one of his pawns.

The game, however, doesn’t get too competitive. Each member acts friendly, and they often make jokes. Opponents even help each other out and show each other how they could make their next moves.

As their game finishes and they go to leave while a member at another group plays Pokemon and chess at the same time. Junior Ryan Rutherford, who had just finished taking a quiz, comes over to play Leavell in a game. After he finishes making a move, he looks over to see that his opponent playing on a DS.

“Are you playing Pokémon under the desk?”

A mischievous smile affirms his suspicions.

“Of course you are, what else would you be doing,” he jokes with a grin.

The game finishes out in the same lighthearted manner with teasing comments and annoyed exclamations when someone makes an unexpected move. By the time they finish, the hour of allotted time for chess club has elapsed, and the remaining members to pack up and leave. As they walk out of doors, they let out a chorus of goodbyes until their next meeting.

Ashley Bow
Ashley Bow, Personalities Editor
I am a section leader in band and an editor for this wonderful newspaper. I can't wait to have fun and make some new memories in my senior year!
Brandon Bosecker
Brandon Bosecker, Photographer
Hello my name is Brandon...if you want to know more ask me