Azmera Alemu and Anisa Badesire: Starting a New Journey

Azmera Alemu,10, (right) and Anisa Badesire, 10,  (left) stand with their foster family after moving to America.
Photo by Courtesy Photo
Azmera Alemu,10, (right) and Anisa Badesire, 10, (left) stand with their foster family after moving to America.

They weren’t like the rest. This routine differs for these boys — the big school, the confusing hallways, the tardy bells or even the juicy hamburgers. Everything is a new experience for sophomores Azmera Alemu and Anisa Badesire.

These boys came from Africa.

Almemu came from Eritrea, a small country on the Eastern coast of Africa close to Saudi Arabia. He started the process of coming to America in 2014 and arrived here on February 2, 2015.

“I started hearing about how I have to study about plants and different agriculture,” Almemu said. “When I grow up, I want to be take care of plants and animals — maybe.”

Before finding out that he would move to America, Almemu lived in Ethiopia as a refugee for five years. Then, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) office interviewed him and assigned him to Fort Worth, where his foster parents took Almemu and two other boys in.

“Next thing that happened, I had been feeling happy, and sometimes I thought about what I have to lose in my country because my family lives there,” Almemu said. “I’m going to miss them.”

Almemu now lives here in Mansfield with his foster family with two other boys, Chubaka Ajuamungu and Anisa Badesire. Each coming from Africa, Badesire and Ajuamungu from Congo. Each of them went through the same process as Almemu.

“Moving here was very hard,”Almemu said. “I didn’t know what to do, and I would start crying. Different memories — everything is difficult, and it’s like if you don’t know English, you can’t do anything.”

Going to school, getting an education and learning English for Badesire and Almemu meant a lot. Coming from Africa, they didn’t know any English, but once they found out that they were coming to Texas, they were prepped on what to expect.

“I came here for a better life, for education and because our country was dangerous,” Badesire said.

The difference between everyday life in Africa and America has it’s differences. The boys have had to adjust to a different climates, government and food. Many parts about the food clothing and everyday life surprised the pair when they first arrived in America.

“We used to eat fufu and a lot of vegetables, but here, we eat meat a lot,”Badesire said. “I didn’t know about hamburgers.”

The weather, Almemu’s favorite aspect of Texas, welcomed him when he moved here. Badesire enjoys football and the vacations they take, especially one the group took to Houston. The boys enjoy living together. However, each miss parts of Africa.

“I’m happy I’ve been here here, and I have to learn,” Almemu said. “I’m happy, but if you’re not with your family, you have to worry. I miss my family, but I will be happy here.”

Kathryn Pedroza, Editor-In-Chief
"Kathryn with a K is so much better than Kathryn with a C"- Anne of Green Gables. Anyway, my life can be summed up in three things: showtunes, books and Jesus. I can talk forever about them if you'll let me.