Final Blog: Hannah Garcia

Photo by Megan Bell

I remember walking into those silver metal doors the first day of school four years ago. I was wearing this weird leopard print shirt with my face and arms tan as can be feeling paranoid for the future. Now, I’m paler, wearing slightly less patterned shirts and excited to graduate.

Time will fly so fast, so please enjoy it.

Each year as I got older, the year felt shorter and shorter. It didn’t really register with me until a day or two ago that I’m graduating. I’m leaving these people I’ve practically grown up with. I’m starting a new chapter. I’m never going to get to walk through these halls with my peers ever again. But I know better things will come in the future, so the feeling leaves me bittersweet.

Freshman year, I consumed my life with swimming, figuring out how to pass an AP class and trying to find a boy to like me. Sophomore year, I tried my best to get involved in extracurriculars. Junior year – my favorite year – had me up past midnight on numerous occasions and active in my school in so many ways. I felt so connected, and it was great feeling like I had a purpose. I felt like I was making friends wherever I went while I contributed to Legacy.

Junior year was great and all, but it left me with this paralyzing fear of not knowing who I was or what I wanted to do. This was the time where I had to start picking colleges and majors I wanted.

But I had no clue.

I won’t lie, the first semester of senior year was terrible. I was up most nights past 1 a.m., I lost touch with most of my friends and life was just hitting me hard with college responsibilities.

Everything finally fell in place after Spring Break when I committed to attending the University of North Texas. I had new friends, I had my college plans and school stress lessened up a bit.

For pretty much the entire year, I’ve wished away every day, and I truly regret it.

Yes, I know we all want that freedom of leaving high school and entering our own adulthood, but once you leave, you can’t come back. I’ve learned so many lessons within these red brick walls in the past four years. This place is part of who I am. It sounds so cheesy, I know.

People say you’ll lose friendships in high school, and they’re not wrong. You’ll stop talking to people you once considered best friends, but you’ll also meet new people. It’s normal. We’re all figuring out who we are in high school, and sometimes people’s personalities change.

Old doors close while new ones will open.

If I were to give any advice to underclassmen or anyone willing to listen, I’d say get involved, but don’t spread yourself too thin. Know your boundaries. Being in multiple extracurriculars lead me to so many wonderful memories with several different people – ones that can’t be replaced. Without the experiences from my activities, I would have never figured out who I was or what I enjoy. There are so many opportunities and clubs here, so I advise anyone reading to join at least one club if you haven’t already.

As senior year nears the end, I’ve had the chance to really reflect on the past four years and realize how far I’ve come mentally and emotionally. Despite not knowing, I’m excited for the future and what it holds. I’m ready to walk out those silver metal doors one last time as a student and across that stage in my black robe to grab the certificate saying I made it.

I’m ready to move on.

Hannah Garcia
Hannah Garcia, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
My name is Hannah Garcia, and I'm proud to be Editor-in-Chief of such a great publication. I could try to be funny, but I won't put you through the pain of reading lame jokes. I'm here to write and make some memories before I leave high school. Peace out girl scout.
Megan Bell
Megan Bell, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi I'm Megan Bell!
I am the Photo Editor for The Rider Online so I edit all the pictures you see on this site! I am a senior this year and I'm planning to major in journalism at college. My whole life is wrapped around journalism and this website so I hope you enjoy! Thanks :)