Final Blog: Sara Gerges

Final Blog: Sara Gerges
Photo by Megan Bell

Oh, senior year. Somehow my senioritis has not escalated to the point where I couldn’t write this blog, so let’s take a moment to thank God.

Senior year is bittersweet. It’s bitter in the fact that you’re filled with immense amount of stress when filling out college applications, applying for scholarships and dealing with schoolwork. On top of that, you’re surrounded by your peers who also are filled with this stress, so it’s not a good mix.

But the sweet moments finally occur the moment you and your best friends get your acceptance letters, (finally) making a college decision, ordering your cap and gown, getting academic recognition for all your hard work the past four years and going to prom. You feel like it’s all worth it and that the past four years weren’t a complete waste. It feels like you are finally getting your life together!

But then it all hits you.

It hits me that I’m moving away. It hits me that I’m going to be living 512 miles away from my best friend whom I’ve known since middle school. It hits me that everything I’ve ever known for the past 18 years of my life is all going to change in a couple months.

In all honesty, it’s terrifying. But I haven’t been this excited for change in a long time.

I know it’s cliché to say that the past four years have flown by, but it’s true. I think that with each passing school year, over the past four years, I’ve developed a sort of blissful naïveté of how quick high school flies by, and I had the security of knowing I would always be coming back. But now it’s different. I know I won’t be coming back. Reminiscing on the past four years, I am thankful for all the memories, adventures and the individual Legacy High School has shaped me in to.

I have pushed myself in so many ways these past four years, and I’m thankful that I have been blessed with educators who have unleashed my untapped potential. My educators have taught me to not to drive myself crazy because of my obsession to be the best. I was shown that it’s okay that I’m not the best as long as I’m better than the day before.

They also taught me to be a well-rounded student, and they’ve inspired me to embrace my strengths and challenge myself in areas and subjects I didn’t think I was capable of. They have inspired me to try new things like journalism, debate and academic decathlon. If it wasn’t for them, I would have never discovered that I’m capable to defy the odds against me, and for that, I can never repay them.

To the underclassmen: high school doesn’t have to be the best four years of your life, but make the most out of your time there. Talk to new people. Put yourself out there. Join that club. Work hard, but have fun.

I’ve challenged myself in so many ways during high school, and I am so excited to see what I will learn, achieve, and conquer in college. I am so excited to start the next chapter of my life!

Sara Gerges
Sara Gerges, News Editor
News editor. Short and sweet, just like this bio.
Megan Bell
Megan Bell, The Rider Photo Editor
Hi I'm Megan Bell!
I am the Photo Editor for The Rider Online so I edit all the pictures you see on this site! I am a senior this year and I'm planning to major in journalism at college. My whole life is wrapped around journalism and this website so I hope you enjoy! Thanks :)