Top 5 Musicals Adapted Into Movies

Priscilla Brothers, discusses some of the best musicals in history.

Who doesn’t love a good broadway show? All the dancing, singing, and acting makes musicals the ultimate package. Getting dressed up, paying too much money for tickets and driving all the way to the theater isn’t worth it. Musicals adapted into movies are the next best thing. It’s a tasteful, yet cheap way to get your musical fix without having to put on pants. So here’s the best movies adapted from broadway shows.

Chicago
A dramatic, passionate musical that will never fail to leave its audience excited for more. Chicago tells the story of a dispute derived from two women’s need to be the best. Ann Reinking’s choreography in the style of Bob Fosse for the stage show translates beautifully onto the screen. But most importantly, it’s infamous number, the Cell Block Tango keeps the sensational theatrics even without the empowerment of seeing it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IxcfbldgBY

The Sound of Music
The dreaded musical most middle schoolers have to watch will forever be the classic everyone needs to see at least once in their life. The show tells the story of Maria, played by Julie Andrews, and her relationship with the Von Trapp family in Germany during World War 2. The musical’s mesmerizing score by Rodgers and Hammerstein includes loveable songs like Do-Re-Me and Sixteen Going on Seventeen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRPEpJHI9zg

Into the Woods
With the famous faces of Meryl Streep, Anna Kendrick, Johnny Depp, Emily Blunt and James Corden, Into the Woods became an instant hit upon entering theaters. An inventive way to tell the stories of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk and Rapunzel, created the beautiful story of Into the Woods. Disneys take on the musical has made the movie enjoyable for children, teens and adults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Yz5BRMGIQ

West Side Story
Since everyone loves the classic tale of Romeo and Juliet so West Side Story’s contemporary spin on it left audiences returning to the theater again and again. West Side Story tells the tale of the turf war between the Sharks and Jets when one of the gang leaders falls in love with a forbidden. Death and love makes two conflicting but brilliant themes displayed throughout this musical great.

Les Miserables
You may have found yourself asking, “Will a movie ever make me cry like the Notebook?” Well, upon finishing Les Miserables you will find yourself drowning in tears. The story follows different characters lives and their relationship to the French Revolution. With so many character, the cinemas ability to cut between scenes has made a complex narrative into an easier one. This masterpiece might top all the others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuEFm84s4oI

Priscilla Brothers
Priscilla Brothers, Newspaper
I drink a lot of coffee and pet dogs in my free time.