Fab Lab
Fab Lab

Film Club Hosts Second Meeting

Photo by Kristen Bosecker
Junior Nic Winston speaks to Film Club members during an after-school meeting.

Walking into the busy physics room, multiple students scatter papers across their desks while the rest seek guidance from Mr. Davis. A tornado of noise encompasses the left side of the classroom but after dodging desks and busy pupils, a quiet mumble fills the laboratory section of the room. Miscellaneous scientific instruments lay across the long, black desks, forcing the creative group to huddle on small stools in the middle of the floor. The Film club’s second meeting has brought a few, potential new members.

“What’s your favorite director?” questions junior Nic Winston to the newest member of the group.

The shy freshman, Matthew Turner, turned his head to think for a few seconds, but before answering, Junior Jera Harvey spoke up for him.

“He likes horror movies,” Harvey said.

Harvey had taken it upon herself to get to know Turner as soon as he clarified his intention in Mr. Davis’ room. She clearly lead the group by predominantly directing the discussion throughout the meeting. However, Winston, another upperclassman, displayed his obvious passion for filmmaking through different ideas and extensive knowledge.

“The reasoning I had for asking everyone what their favorite movie was and who their favorite director was, was because I wanted to compile a powerpoint to show you guys the different colors they use and style of filmmaking they have,” explained Winston.

In conclusion to the introductions, most new members began to warm up to the group and all previous members had arrived.

“Does anyone have ideas about what kind of movie we can make?” Harvey asked, getting straight to the point.

Tentatively, sophomore Martin Hestrin, revealed a small notebook the size of his hand out of his backpack. Scratches of ideas littered the first few pages of the book. After regaining the disorganized group’s attention, he began reading.

“A person that wakes up at the same time every morning to go to a job that he hates,” explained Hestrin. “It’s a cycle, every day. He relies on his alarm clock until one day his alarm clock doesn’t go off, so he takes the day off of work and discovers things about himself.”

Ideas exploded from the upperclassmen after Hestrin finished. When one would begin to finish a sentence, another would start, creating a verbal battle of creative ideas. Topics of discussion included setting, film techniques and other movie ideas. Some ideas fell away without much thought, while others were taken ahold of and fleshed out further.

“I want to point out to you that there was a movie where a Star Wars club met another Star Wars club to make made one of the Star Wars movies for under ten dollars,” interrupted Mr. Davis as the club discussed satirical films.

The small group excitedly discussed the topic for a couple seconds before moving on to assigning general roles. As time went on, members began dwindling until Winston called a conclusion to the meeting. The remaining students collected their things and left, crossing out of the now quiet classroom.

Priscilla Brothers
Priscilla Brothers, Newspaper
I drink a lot of coffee and pet dogs in my free time.
Kristen Bosecker
Kristen Bosecker, Social Media Editor
My name is Kristen Bosecker and I am the Social Media Director. I pole vault and like to make people laugh. Follow me on twitter @thisismrskris