Varsity Boys’ Basketball Competes in Tournament

Sophomore Antonio Baker dribbles down the court during the first round of the Mansfield Spring Creek Classic basketball tournament.

Dalton Mix

Dalton Mix

“Number 0, Matthew Reeves!” The announcer declares as Legacy students begin to fill the seats of the varsity gym. Students miss out on their sixth period class to watch varsity boys’ basketball play in the first game of the Mansfield Spring Creek Classic basketball tournament.

The Broncos each take the court dressed in their complete uniforms as the announcer calls their names.

The first quarter commences shortly after as Legacy students continue to file in. The Broncos’ opponent, the College Park Cavaliers, put up the first few points, leaving the Broncos struggling to catch up.  

Junior Michael Simmons steals the ball from College Park and runs it down the court, passing it to sophomore Dondre Johnson, who goes for the lay up and places the ball inside the hoop. Legacy students roar as the ball lands in the hands of College Park.

Juniors Taiwan Williams and Jalen Catalon are the only two athletes on the bench not in uniform. The two are both currently participating with varsity football in their playoff run and cannot play with the Broncos until their season ends.

As the scoreboard buzzes, the Broncos let out tired breaths and halftime begins. Round Rock and Fort Bend Elkins take the court to warm up for the next game in the bracket as the Broncos and Cavaliers head to the locker room.

Half-time does not last long, and the game commences again.

“AND ONE,” a Legacy student yells from behind Legacy’s bench as junior Michael Simmons shoots his second foul shot and it passes effortlessly through the net.

Third quarter goes on as junior Walker Jackson throws the ball and it flies past Johnson and out of bounds.

“What was that?!” Jackson yells in frustration as time slips away from the Broncos, who stand 20 points behind College Park.

Senior Trevone Fuller throws the ball to Reeves who panics as College Park defenders surround him. Reeves passes the ball to Johnson who lays it up and puts the Broncos at 53 points, still 20 points behind the Cavaliers.

“Legacy students after the game immediately report back to your sixth period.” The announcer’s voice fills the gym as the last minute of the fourth quarter climb down.

Heads fall as the final buzzer sounds.

Round Rock and Fort Bend take the court once again as everyone files back out of the gym and walks back to their sixth period class with their spirits low.