Fab Lab
Fab Lab

Cyliest Smith: From DFW to D1

Senior Cyliest Smith dribbles a basketball down the court during a Varsity game.
Photo by Qurea Madden

One empty court. One singular player. One dream.

Senior Cyliest Smith signed to play basketball at Weber State University in Utah last week while surrounded by her friends and family. Smith smiled and looked around the room, remembering the first time she stepped on the court. She’s dreamed of this day since she was ten.

Basketball defined her future.

“I love the energy,” Smith said. “I love the condition it keeps me in, the atmosphere, the crowd and the adrenaline it brings.”

Born in Midlothian, she moved around North Texas until her middle school years when Smith found her home in Mansfield. Leaving what she considers home to move to Utah does not phase her.

“I’m really excited,” Smith said. “Moreso because it’s closer to my favorite state, California. I’m really excited to be around my team. I’ve already met them, and they’re amazing.”

Although Smith views Mansfield as her home now, a change of heart lays ahead. Having visited Weber State over the summer, she got a feel of her new town and future life in Utah.

“I was skeptical at first,” Smith said. “When I got there, it was just something I really couldn’t explain. On my first visit they made me feel like I was at home. Even in the hotel I felt like I was at home. It’s a great atmosphere.”

As for Smith and her parents, just like any college freshman, moving away from her family continues to represent the biggest challenge. Some teammates have already stepped in and given her advice on how to handle moving, giving her a taste of her new family dynamics.

“They say they’re going to go buy a house up there,” Smith said. “But I really hope not. I think getting adjusted to it is going to be hard, just like most college freshman. I’ll be on Facetime a lot, calling them all the time.”

Smith’s mother Carita, however, has no doubt her daughter will adjust perfectly fine to her new life. A life journey that she believes her daughter can overcome and exceed her own expectations.

“I do think she will enjoy it,” Carita said. “Her dream was to go to D1 in basketball, and she has always wanted to play out of state. Plus, she has accomplished both being the first D1 girls basketball player out of Legacy and gaining a full-ride scholarship.”

Apart from pursuing basketball, Smith has her sights set on studying at Weber State as well. Always having interest and care for others, a career in helping others seems fitting for a bright-minded and humble person.

“I’m going to try and go into psychology,” Smith said. “I want to study the mind and brains, stuff like that. The different types of people.”

As for her dream, she made it all on her own and hopes to continue to strive throughout college to keep her dream alive.

“This is the dream,” Smith said. “It’s the main goal, main dream, is to get to college and then pursue basketball in another form or the next level.”

Isabella Modderman
Isabella Modderman, Newspaper
aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi
Qurea Madden
Qurea Madden, Photographer
My name is Qurea Madden. I spend most of my time at school or playing volleyball. I play volleyball for Legacy high school as well as my club team. This is my second year working on the photojournalism team and i enjoy it a lot.