French Club Holds Meeting

Club President junior Natalie Ponder speaks to club members before beginning the day's acivities.

Kassidy Duncan

Kassidy Duncan

The small classroom of AJ-107 only held a few students at the start of the meeting. Madame Helen Hulme, the sponsor of French Club, and junior Natalie Ponder, the president of the club, wandered about the room preparing food to welcome any guests they had.

“What is that?” asks Ponder, seeing the delicious food sprawled across the desk.

Madame Hulme prepared brie cheese, an often-eaten French delicacy, and crackers to go along with it. Ponder set out her contribution to the feast, Palimer, another French culinary staple. After setting out the food, she took out multiple tubs of Play-Doh for the activity she planned.

“So today I bought Play-Doh, and I figured we could play Pictionary by sculpting the Play-Doh and guessing the French word,” Ponder said.

The few students in the room nodded in agreement and waited patiently for Ponder to finish setting up the room with the various cans of Play-Doh sprawled across the desks. Before beginning the game, the group waited for any other visitors they might have. Then, Senior Akim Bangwiha strolled into the room.

“Oh, this is Akim, our native speaker,” Madame Hulme said.

While everyone began grabbing food off the desk, Ponder started writing words they could sculpt, while Madame Hulme gave helpful suggestions. Hungry from a long day of school, the small group quickly devoured a large portion of the food.

“I haven’t had these in forever,” Bangwiha said excitedly, looking down on the Palmier.

After eating the food and making the cards, Ponder split the club into two teams and began the game. Madame Hulme drew a table to keep track of the points and scored each team after every round. The once-clean table quickly got messy in the excitement of the game. Everyone, cheerful in good spirits, excitedly shouted out anything that had the possibility of resembling the figure.

They continued for a while longer, making things like cheese, a beret and snails. After a short while, the club completely forgot the game as they began discussing the French AP test. Bangwiha had already taken the test and began giving the younger students advice until it came to his attention he needed to leave.

“Maybe, later on, you can come to the class to talk about the AP test,” Madame Hulme said.

At the idea of missing his classes, Bangwiha quickly agreed before leaving the classroom. His departure brought everyone’s attention to the time as four o’clock drew nearer. Students then began leaving while Ponder and Madame Hulme cleaned up.