Album Review: Everybody Can’t Go by Benny the Butcher
All About the APs
All About the APs

2018 Academy Awards: Who Will Win?

Grant Baker, makes his 2018 Oscar predictions. The 90th Academy Awards will be held on March 4, 2018.
Photo by Used with permission from Flickr

Here is a full list of 2018 Academy Awards nominations. Watch the Oscars on ABC March 4.

Awards season has finally graced us, and after Tuesday’s Academy Awards nomination announcement, the American people now have new films to dissect, analyze and claim they saw to sound cool. I was fortunate to see almost every major film nominated this year, so in order to help you win your party’s Oscar ballot competition, here are my predictions for who will be taking home the major awards.

I’ll be splitting each category into three major criteria: the “Surefire Winner”, “The Longshot” and “Who I Think Should Win”. None of these criteria are mutually exclusive, so the surefire winner or the longshot could also be who I want to win. You get the idea.

BEST FILM

Surefire Winner: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Although the film has been under fire from various media outlets, “Three Billboards” still managed to win the Golden Globe for Best Drama, which is usually a dead giveaway for the Oscar winner. The movie itself is an amazing revenge story set in an expertly crafted small town. Frances McDormand along with Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson each gave some of the best performances of their career; we’ll just have to see if the controversy sways the voters to another film.

The Longshot: “Lady Bird” and “The Shape of Water”
“Lady Bird” took the Golden Globe for Best Comedy/Musical, and deservedly so. Saoirse Ronan did an excellent job portraying an ambitious high school senior in the coming-of-age film, and she, along with Director Greta Gerwig deserve all the praise they’ve received. “The Shape of Water” leads the pack with 13 nominations, which means the Academy obviously loves this film, once again, deservedly so.

Who I Think Should Win: “Get Out”
Jordan Peele’s directorial debut was the most talked-about film of the year, and provided an amazing mix of horror, comedy and social commentary. It’s certainly not the type of film the Academy awards Best Picture, but that shouldn’t take away from what I truly believe was the best film of 2017.

BEST ACTOR

Surefire Winner: Gary Oldman
Oldman’s performance as Winston Churchill in “Darkest Hour” was the highlight of the film, and I would be shocked if he didn’t take the Oscar home. Not to mention, Gary Oldman has never won an Oscar, so this could be the Academy’s way of saying sorry.

The Longshot: Timothee Chalamet
Call Me By Your Name is a great movie, but I seriously doubt it takes home any awards on Oscar night. Despite this, Chalamet gives an amazing performance in the 80s-themed love story, and I’m sure he’ll get his due eventually.

Who I Think Should Win: Gary Oldman
I would have given this spot to James Franco’s role as Director Tommy Wiseau in “The Disaster Artist,” but the allegations of sexual harassment undoubtedly kept him out of the race for Best Actor, so I’d say Oldman’s portrayal of Churchill deserves it.

BEST ACTRESS

Surefire Winner: Frances McDormand
As I mentioned earlier when discussing “Three Billboards,” McDormand truly gives the performance of her life, portraying a foul-mouthed mother hellbent on avenging her daughter’s murder. She’s stern and emotional when it matters and funny when she needs to be. It’s a truly amazing role for her.

The Longshot: Saoirse Ronan
I adored Ronan’s performance in “Lady Bird” as a spunky, ambitious teen living in 2003-era Sacramento, California. Her chemistry with her co-stars, especially Lady Bird’s mother played by Laurie Metcalf, make the film. Unfortunately, I don’t think she has what it takes to beat McDormand.

Who I Think Should Win: Frances McDormand or Margot Robbie
McDormand crushed her role, but Margot Robbie as Tonya Harding in “I, Tonya” was one of the biggest surprises of the year, and one of my favorite performances.

BEST DIRECTOR

Surefire Winner: PICK ‘EM
This is easily the most tight race of the entire show. Acclaimed Director Guillermo Del Toro could take it for “The Shape of Water,” especially since he took the Golden Globe for the same category. Greta Gerwig and Jordan Peele could take it for their directorial debuts “Lady Bird” and “Get Out” respectively (also, shoutout to Gerwig and Peele for being the fifth woman and fifth African-American to get the nomination; great job guys!!). Christopher Nolan could snag his first win to honor to his previously directed films like “The Dark Knight” and “Inception.” It’s anyone’s game this year, and I’d be happy to see any of these directors win.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Surefire Winner: Sam Rockwell
Rockwell’s portrayal of a racist police officer in “Three Billboards” has already earned him the Golden Globe and the SAG award for the same category. It’s a truly great performance, and it would not be shocking if he three-peats.

The Longshot: Willem Dafoe
Willem Dafoe’s amazing performance in “The Florida Project” (which should’ve been nominated for Best Picture!!!!!!!!!) as a frazzled, but compassionate motel manager has threatened to overtake Rockwell at each awards show, but he has yet to pull off the steal. Can he manage to do it on film’s biggest stage?

Who I Think Should Win: Willem Dafoe
Dafoe’s performance was a beam of light in a fairly dark and revealing film, and he helped make “The Florida Project” such an interesting and enjoyable movie.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Surefire Winner: Allison Janney
No one stole a movie quite like Janney did in “I, Tonya”, playing Tonya Harding’s abusive, overbearing and demanding mother. She demanded attention in a way that no other performance managed to achieve, and it elevated the film in a way that no other actress could have done. She absolutely deserves the award, and if the Golden Globes are an indicator, then she just might get it.

The Longshot: Octavia Spencer
Octavia Spencer’s role as Zelda Fuller in “The Shape of Water” was a delight, providing lighthearted humor to a film already full of fantasy. It was a great performance in a film full of great performances.

Who I Think Should Win: Allison Janney
I can’t stress enough how well Janney did in “I, Tonya”. It was great. Really great.

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Surefire Winner: “Phantom Thread,” Jonny Greenwood
The Longshot: “The Shape of Water,” Alexandre Desplat

Who I Think Should Win: “Phantom Thread,” Jonny Greenwood

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

Surefire Winner: “Remember Me” from “Coco,” Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez
The Longshot: “Mystery of Love” from “Call Me by Your Name,” Sufjan Stevens

Who I Think Should Win: “Mystery of Love” from “Call Me by Your Name,” Sufjan Stevens

God, if you’re out there: please let Sufjan Stevens win an Oscar. Is that too much to ask?

BEST DOCUMENTARY

Surefire Winner: “Faces Places”
The Longshot: “Icarus”

Who I Think Should Win: “Icarus”

BEST ANIMATED FILM
Surefire Winner: “Coco”
There’s no way “Coco” won’t win. The odds are incredibly in its favor, and it truly was the best animated film released in 2017. It’s not even worth listing a longshot

Grant Baker, The Rider Editor-in-Chief
I'm Grant Baker and I write for this website. I love serving God, watching football and listening to 2000s southern hip hop. Maybe not all of those at the same time. I don't know. Okay you know how hard it is to write one of these things? Pretty hard.