Everything You Need to Know About the Solar Eclipse

Emma Randall: Focusing on the Fine Arts

Senior Emma Randall creates a sculpture during Art class.
Photo by Kassidy Duncan

After stepping into her first art class in sixth grade, then dropping out of what she thought represented her final art class in eighth grade, senior Emma Randall finally made the decision to pursue art as a career.

“I took Art I again sophomore year,” Randall said. “I loved it, so then I took ceramics. The second semester of ceramics was where I realized that I really want to do this.”

Through art, students have the ability and freedom to pursue anything that flows through their mind, and within Legacy’s halls live the different focuses of art such as ceramics, drawing and sculpture. Randall began in ceramics her sophomore year, advanced to the Advanced Placement 3D sculpture and design class by her senior year and made it into the state VASE competition, once again, with a mixed media project.

“You can do anything with clay,” Randall said. “You can do a bowl, or you can do a pregnant lady, it just depends on your stamina and determination. The pregnant lady came into mind, and it took six months, but it made it.”

Randall, who has progressed with her art while she matured, has watched her school’s appreciations change, and often times not value the fine arts program as she felt it should. As large as the variety of fine arts courses Legacy offers is, the support needed to fulfill the experiences of these courses rarely meets the school’s standards.

“I wish we wouldn’t focus as much on sports, but on the fine arts,” Randall said. “Yeah, [sports are] great, but [with art,] you’re actually creating things from nothing. I think it’s amazing what people can do.”

Growth lays ahead for Randall in college. As she decides which school to attend, she’s already decided her major. Art majors have a wide range of degrees, but Randall has big plans to not only attain a specific art degree but make something out of it.

“I hope to learn the business side of art,” Randall said, “how to share my ideas, how to find the best idea and grow the idea. I’m going to major in sculpture, and I’m actually thinking about set designing.”

No matter how far Randall advances, she believes something new will always lie ahead to better herself not only as a person but as an artist.

“I’m pretty reserved, an introvert, as everyone knows,” Randall said. “I feel like I’m artsy. It’s just like a chill vibe, and it’s super creative. I like to see how far I’ve gone, having persistence and never giving up.”

Isabella Modderman, Newspaper
aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi
Kassidy Duncan, Photo Editor
Hi! My name is Kassidy Duncan, and I'm the Arena Photo Editor for Legacy Student Media. My website (kassidyduncan23.wordpress.com) says everything else you should know, but when it really comes down to it, I'm just a pun-loving, photograph-taking senior who started a countdown for graduation as soon as my junior year ended.