Final Blog: Lauren Hargrove

Lauren Hargrove, Editor In Chief

I remember my mom texting me in eighth grade telling me that the transfer to Legacy went through. In a few months, I would be a Bronco for four years of my life.

Transferring to a new school was hard. My best friend went to Mansfield, and I only knew a handful of familiar faces starting the harshest years of my life. I had no idea what to expect in a school where no one knew who I was.

Junior year: the best and worst year of high school for me. The year I had finally had enough of high school coaches putting me down, and I quit the sport I loved for nine years of my life. The year that I realized bigger and better things for me lie outside of Mansfield, Texas. But most importantly, I also learned I would be Editor-in-Chief of The Rider.

Only being on staff for a year prior to my editorship, I was overjoyed when I applied for the position and I got it. I never thought I would meet the most amazing people and build friendships that will last forever. However, even though I loved my experience as an editor, senior year ripped me to shreds.

Between balancing friendships, schoolwork and having a job, keeping my cool through the stressful times remained a constant challenge. My senior year memories mostly consist of mental breakdowns and tears but hey, I made it this far.

As senior year comes to a close, It’s honestly surreal that I am sitting here writing about the madness that engulfed my high school experience. The tears, laughs, hard work, not so hard work, everything comes down to one thing: what the heck am I going to do now?

Sure I know. I know where I’m going (gig ‘em). I know what I want to be. I know that I am going to grow up, find a job and have my own life. But man, I am as scared as ever.

I’m scared to leave what I know, what I’ve always known. I’ve lived in the same house for 18 years, stayed in the same school district and I even talk to some of the same people I went to elementary school with. But with that being said, I have never been more ready to walk across that stage and never have to step foot in this school again. Come graduation day, I will either have a major panic attack or cry tears of happiness. Stay tuned.

In the end, high school overall was a horrible experience. I hated it but I also loved it. I loved that it has made me realize I need a change in my life. I love that it opened my eyes to the possibilities I have once I leave. I hate that I made such great friends that I will miss for the rest of my life.

I have learned so much at Legacy that I know I will carry on with me forever. Coming to Legacy was the best choice I could have made. Little did I know, I would not be a Bronco for four years but for the rest of my life.