Learn basic first aid.
Learn basic first aid.
Photo by Jazmine Necessary

How To Adult: First Aid

Everyone in life gets hurt doing something, whether in sports, cooking, construction or just tripping and falling down. Whether serious or a simple bruise, scrape or shallow cut, it still needs to get treated. This basic treatment of injuries, known as first aid, could mean life or death in a tricky situation.

First aid kits
A first aid kit comes equipped with medical supplies such as bandages, gauze dressings, safety pins, adhesive tape, cleaning wipes and antiseptic. Some may also include distilled water, eye wash solution, painkillers, a thermometer, scissors, tweezers and sterile gloves. Keep one in a car or in the kitchen in case of emergencies. Stores like Walmart and Target sell first aid kits and supplies for making them.

Open wounds
Treat an open wound to avoid infection. To apply such, rinse out the cut with distilled water to get any dirt or debris out. Second, disinfect the area. Finally, apply a bandage or gauze dressing, depending on the size of the wound. To prevent bacteria from entering, apply antiseptic or antiseptic paste to the bandage or gauze before you put it on. For a deep cut, apply pressure to the injured area to stop the bleeding.

Broken bones
A broken bone is most likely the cause if the injured area hurts to move, feels numb, has swelling, has heavy bleeding at site, has a deformity or has bone going through the skin. To apply first aid to a broken bone, immobilize the injured area to prevent it from moving. If the area heavily bleeds, attempt to stop the bleeding by elevating the injured area, cleaning it and applying a bandage. Do not apply pressure. Next, apply ice to the injured area. To avoid frostbite, apply for 10-15 minutes, then wait until area feels warm to apply again.

Sprains, strains, and tears
Sprains, strains, and tears result from physical activity. To treat these, you must only remember R.I.C.E. This stands for Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate. Rest the injured area by using a sling for arms, crutches for legs or splints for fingers and toes. Ice the injured area for 20 minutes at a time once per hour. Compress the area with a bandage or sleeve to stop swelling. Elevate the injured area above the heart to lower the amount of blood going to it.

It is important to educated on basic first aid, and sites like WebMD and The Red Cross have more information to stay safe.

View Comments (1)
Jake Neesen, Staff Writer
My name is Jake Neesen, and I am new to newspaper. I like cats, fresh memes, and hanging out with friends.
Jazmine Necessary, Editor-In-Chief
After romantic candlelit dinners and long walks on the beach, I enjoy writing for this website and making lame jokes.
$3000
$5000

$3000
$5000

• F

fitoruFeb 17, 2020 at 6:02 am

thanks for the share. I enjoyed reading the tips. Excellent blog