L.U.C.K. Week Finishes with Mr. Miss LHS

Ceci Canelos gazes into Spencer Basham’s eyes as their hands come together. The Glee  rendition of “Don’t Stop Believin’” roars from the speakers of Mrs. Schimming’s computer. Canelos does a spin as the curly haired Basham watches, trying to figure out the lyrics. But when the girl in the song starts to sing, Basham dramatically points to an invisible crowd and mouths the words, almost perfectly in sync.

Canelos and Basham rehearse all of these moves for the talent portion of Mr/Miss LHS, a pageant benefitting L.U.C.K. Week. Fourteen boys and their escorts compete for the title of Miss LHS and $50. The Miss LHS pageant starts at 7 p.m. (Friday)  in the PAC, tickets will be sold for $7 at the door. Kellie Rasberry from Kid Kraddick in the Morning will MC the event. L.U.C.K. Week activities have already exceeded the $10,000 goal set for Olivia Nolley’s  medical expenses.

Maddie Schimming sits on the couch laughing at the couple as Terrance King controls the music from Mrs. Schimming’s desk. They both have their own dances to memorize, but for now they’re helping Basham and Canelos figure out the next step.

The lyrics in the song cease, as a breakdown begins.

“I don’t know what to do in this part,” Canelos said.

“Let’s spin,” Basham said.

“But that’s stupid.”

“Just spin twice.”

“Okay,” Canelos said.

During their practice the music changes from “Party in the USA” to “Wannabe” back to “Party in the USA” to “Single Ladies ” and even “Bye, Bye, Bye.” Canelos shimmies and shakes as Basham stands watching, still trying to figure out the lyrics to all the songs.

Terrance King searches the “Single Ladies” video on youtube so Canelos can figure out the choreography. She stares up at the screen, attempting to imitate Beyoncé’s routine.

“We just threw it together,” Basham said. “It’s been different and has gotten me outside of my box; I’m not really a dancer.”

At the beginning of the pageant, the contestants will perform an opening dance together with their escorts. Afterward, the boys will change into their evening gowns and then prepare for the talent competition. After announcing the top five, they will move on to the interview where the judges will then determine to runner ups and Miss LHS.

“I am secure with my sexuality,” senior Kris Bohn said. “You have to be secure with your sexuality in order to do this.”