Newspaper, Yearbook Finalists for National Awards

Since Legacy Student Media launched The Rider Online in 2009 they have won an number of awards as has The Arena yearbook. The Arena has received four awards and one nomination, The Rider Online has won and been nominated for five National and four State awards, fourteen total. The Rider Online is a Pacemaker and Crown Award finalist for 2012 and last year’s 2011 volume of The Arena is a Crown and Pacemaker finalist.

“I think we have a really good team,” Editor-in-Chief senior Julianna Di Napoli said. “We post daily and work hard not for awards but for success in general.”

Pacemakers are a highly held award in scholastic journalism given out by the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA). Online newspapers are judged during Feb. and March after journalism advisers submit an entry form. They are critiqued for their design, navigation, writing and editing, graphics and interactivity. The Rider Online has been nominated two previous times to receive a Pacemaker.

“It’s rewarding because it lets the staff know what they are doing is good work, and it’s also kind of scary because you know your stuff is being seen all over the nation,” journalism adviser Leland Mallett said.

Crown Awards are given by Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA). Only 18 high schools nation-wide are selected as finalists and will be determined as Gold Crown or Silver Crown winners. The Rider Online has received two Gold Crowns and The Arena one silver. Senior editors travel to Seattle in April to find out if they have won the Pacemaker.

“It’s cool when we are recognized,” Personalities Editor junior Carson Rahrig said. “We’re making an impact outside of Legacy. We’re not just writing for our school, we’re writing for anyone and everyone.”

The Newspaper class is unique to any other, according to Rahrig, and though it may be stressful at times she feels those in the class are dedicated to making a successful paper and website.

“It’s insane. It’s unlike any other class,” Rahrig said. “You get a whole lot of people that would never be put together under any other circumstances. It’s loud and fast paced, I think we work well as a team. We’re all in this class for a reason, so we are more willing to put the effort in to make a newspaper worth reading.”

Journalism students and their adviser feel their hard work and dedication gives them a better chance of receiving awards.

“I think that the whole staff knows we do a good job and always wants to do a better job,” Mr. Mallett said.